You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everybody, 

I'm an artist and working with printing screens for etching printing.

In photoshop, there's a quite easy way to transform a bw picture into a bitmap and get it rasterized, in affinity photo can't find this feature.

I don't need the visual effect of a raster like in pop art, I need a real fine printing screen like used in offset printing...

How can I do this with Affinity Photo?

I really love the app, especially the slim design so I can use it quite comfortably  even on my old Mac mini :-)

Thanks, Christian

IMG_0001 2.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

3 hours ago, Szirsch said:

Hi everybody, 

I'm an artist and working with printing screens for etching printing.

In photoshop, there's a quite easy way to transform a bw picture into a bitmap and get it rasterized, in affinity photo can't find this feature.

I don't need the visual effect of a raster like in pop art, I need a real fine printing screen like used in offset printing...

How can I do this with Affinity Photo?

I really love the app, especially the slim design so I can use it quite comfortably  even on my old Mac mini :-)

Thanks, Christian

IMG_0001 2.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Hello @Szirsch,

I am not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for. Try this:

'Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Halftone Filter'. It is rather far down the list.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

18 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hello @dominik!

That's what I need but still within the limitations of affinity photo.

But thank you for the answer, it's way better than the way I tried via the colours menu and > halftone-raster...

best, C

Hello @Szirsch,

I am not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for. Try this:

'Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Halftone Filter'. It is rather far down the list.

d.

1 minute ago, Szirsch said:

That's what I need but still within the limitations of affinity photo.

Good to hear that it is a start for you.

Cheers :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

56 minutes ago, dominik said:

That is just the visual effect not wanted.

There is no 1-bit color space in Affinity software, so it is not really possible reliably prepare 1-bit halftones. Something like that can be done by exporting 2 colour art (gif or png).

Photoline or an old copy of Photoshop can do this.

10 minutes ago, Fixx said:

That is just the visual effect not wanted.

There is no 1-bit color space in Affinity software, so it is not really possible reliably prepare 1-bit halftones. Something like that can be done by exporting 2 colour art (gif or png).

Photoline or an old copy of Photoshop can do this.

Hi @Fixx,

thanks for making that clear. I was not completely sure about the difference between the visual representation and the actual 1-bit color format.

So this is not a working solution for the OP's question?

d.

@Fixx

And @dominik 

thanks a lot! I suspected that there was an application sided limitation but I wasn’t completely sure- 

i’ll keep my old photoshop version for the printing screens and do the rest in affinity photo.

thanks again!

best, Christian