You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo could not be launched

When I try to edit in Photos using the Affinity Photo plugin I get the message "Affinity Photo could not be launched. Please press cancel." The other 6 Affinity pugs work okay - Develop, Haze Removal, Liquify, Miniature, and Retouch. Any ideas why Affinity Photo won't launch?

• Staff

Hi Jerry_Hauk :)

This is a current known issue that our developers are aware of, and I will be sure to update the log with this thread.
In the meantime, there is a workaround for this. In the Photos app, if you right-click the photo and go to Edit With > Affinity Photo, then the app should launch correctly. 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, mATriX2305 said:

Any news? The post from Dan C is from April 30, 2018 and it looks like the issue is still not solved. I tried to edit a photo using the Apple Photos Extension but failed as I receive the same error message.

What version of the Mac OS, Affinity Photo, & Apple Photos are you using, & what kind of file (RAW, JPEG, etc.) in Apple Photos are you trying to edit in Affinity Photo?

I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, Affinity Photo 1.6.7, & Apple Photos Version 3.0 (3291.13.210). I know that for me at some point in the past, using the Edit > "Edit In Affinity Photo" extension did not work right. But much to my surprise it does now, & except for maybe a long delay before the "Photos - Edit in Affinity Photo" window appears (which could be due to my iMac being old & having only 8 GB of RAM) "Edit In Affinity Photo" seems to be working perfectly:

Affinity Photo launches after the delay, in Develop Persona if the Apple Photos photo was a RAW format one, & for both RAW & JPEG files I can edit them in Affinity Photo without issues. Once I am done with that (unlike what the Apple Photos window initially says about just closing the document in Affinity Photo) I get a warning about saving the file if I just try to close it. Clicking the Save button in that warning saves the file back to Apple Photos, & then I can close it without a warning.

Back in Apple Photos, I get an "Editing complete" message at the bottom of the Edit window. For large RAW files, it also says "(16MB change limit exceeded - document will be flattened) - press Save to keep these changes." The button actually says "Save Changes," but pressing that saves the edit after another delay & returns me to the initial editing window where I can click "Done" or "Revert to Original." That all works as expected & if I clicked "Done" the photo now has the little three line icon indicating it has been edited.

For the JPEG files in my Apple Photos library; the only difference is the delays are very brief.

I have no idea when this changed or what I might have done to change it. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi CedarTree,

Welcome to the forums :)

This has been fixed in our latest 1.7 beta, which can be downloaded from here -

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!