You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mk1 Golf GTI, v2 Progress (AD)

VectorVonDoom

This is going to be another Mk1 Golf GTI but from the front this time and a standard series 2 in Mars Red, unless I change my mind. The car is going to be what I think of as straight vector so no blurs just gradients and blend modes, but it’s still going to be fairly realistic. Also as with the first Golf the background might use blurs but perhaps not, we'll see.

This time I thought I’d post a few progress shots together with some notes. I’m not sure how long it's going to take.

Anyway stage 1 was blocking in areas either flat or with gradients (some of which are only temp. ones). The body gradient is a best guess/averaging, you can’t always see an obvious gradient but you can see if it’s generally lighter or darker. As last time the body colour uses a single global swatch, so all the highlights and shadows are done with blend modes (somewhere between white and black, not reds, obviously). So if I want to change the body colour it's easy peasy. 

1.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Progress 2.

The bumper, splitter, badges, mirrors, aerial and indicators are done. Well when I say done they might still have some finishing touches to be added but are basically there.

The way I decided to do the indicators was use rounded rectangles with a diagonal gradient and a blend mode of overlay. Then I added dark bits underneath and added a few lighter gradient squares. 

2.jpg

2.2.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Progress 3

Where I got to over the weekend, sort of.  I added some tread to the tyres, not finished but look ok and added the tow hook. I completed most of the grille. As it's meant to be realistic you also have to add any bits you can see behind the grille. I started on the headlights too which is tedious so also made a small start on the interior and some of the shut lines when I was bored of those.

3.jpg

3.2.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Progress 4

I've been doing bits all over, I've still not finished the headlights but will do eventually.  Unless I'm missing something if you want them to look realistic however you do them it's a long winded job. Fortunately in this instance you can do one and just modify it a bit for the other side.

Did a bit more of the interior, but plenty missing and nothing is finished. I also just started blocking in the wipers.

I added a few temporary bonnet reflections to see how it's going to look and it's starting to look like a car, not sure what car but a car. Some of the shut lines are so large on a Mk1 Golf that you can see bits in there so in quite a few places a simple shut line won't do, so I've started adding details.

After all those things are done then there's still a chunk of little touches to add.

I'm thinking about trying the background without blurs too. Not sure it will look any good and it's lots of work but it's no fun if it's too easy or even works every time.

Mk1 Golf GTI Front.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I'm not sure, I guess you could try and see if it interests me. But I'm not interested in anything more modern, well I might be persuaded if it was a commission but not sure.

I've not progressed much more, just done a bit more of the interior and the headlights as I've another one I need to finish. But will get back to this properly over the weekend.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Are you sure you've not seen better looking lol. I did think about doing an Audi Quattro S1.

By the time of that Quattro 90 (don't know when it started happening) it's just a pretend body over a race chassis. But it's an easy one for anyone to do as a vector image as there's not a whole lot of detail in the body. No headlamps, no grille, no obvious shut lines etc, the decals would be the hardest part but you could just do the main ones.

My list of good looking race cars would include things that probably run in classic touring cars.  Like someone wants me to do their BMW 3.0 CSL for them sometime.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Have done some more including finally finishing the headlights. Have more details to do in the shut lines, the main body highlights and shadows and finish the wipers and interior, nothing much. The background's not going to be anything like this and was starting on it today, still not sure it will work.

Background 7.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• Staff

Hi VectorVonDoom,

Nice work and details - the headlights are very well done. As you noted the background perspective distortion doesn't match lens and perspective distortion of the car leading to a strange result. I would use a very simple background (without a defined horizon line) as if it was drawn against a white (or colour) seamless paper as it's done in some studio shots.

• 2 weeks later...

How on earth do you keep track of all the paths/curves?

Looks like Spaghetti Junction from my point of view.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Just split it in to enough groups, although I didn't have too many in this one, 20 main ones and a chunk of sub-groups. It looks more of a mess than it is because of the sub-objects or however you term them, so overlapping paths, although this one is quite neat. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to work out where in the group you need a new object to be but it's not bad. Selections can be a pain sometimes though.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me