You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there! Two small things slow me down when working with Affinity heavily:

1. The swatches sidebar defaults to the first swatch, but I always use the same one. If I close all open windows, then open a new one, Affinity switches to the first swatch, which is not the one I want to use. Is there a way to set the default or move mine so its at the top of the list?

2. When I close a file in Affinity, it jumps to the first one in the tab list. I seem to remember it used to do the opposite. Is there a way to switch it back?

These would be huge time savers! Thanks!

23 minutes ago, FluorescentTurban said:

1. The swatches sidebar defaults to the first swatch, but I always use the same one. If I close all open windows, then open a new one, Affinity switches to the first swatch, which is not the one I want to use. Is there a way to set the default or move mine so its at the top of the list?

You try this to set default colour palette.

5ae5fb6fc3f03_ScreenShot2018-04-29at18_04_44.thumb.png.cf01e894a6d50eda0b4f9da087bb38a7.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Scrub That, it doesn't work for me, It always defaults to the greyscale Palette when opening a new file which is damned annoying. Any info on why this might be Mods?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Scrub That, it doesn't work for me, It always defaults to the greyscale Palette when opening a new file which is damned annoying.

What it does is to create a default document palette (so it will be saved with the document), but the Swatches panel still defaults to showing the grey palette, which is annoying. Here, I have set the default to the application "Colours" palette. Note the difference in the icons:

Palettes.png.be6ce42b89165199033b5fb07084bf13.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

What it does is to create a default document palette (so it will be saved with the document), but the Swatches panel still defaults to showing the grey palette, which is annoying. Here, I have set the default to the application "Colours" palette. Note the difference in the icons:

Palettes.png.be6ce42b89165199033b5fb07084bf13.png

Yes I spotted that, I can't work the logic of having greys showing on a new document when I suspect most people work in colour. The option to set a default is at best, misleading.

That's strange.

AP and AD stay on the last selected palette I used. If I create a new document, the palette stay selected. The same happens when I close and open the apps. When I close different documents with different palettes, this is the last palette that is selected when I reopen the app. (Win 7).

It's when creating a document's palette and closing the document, that the next new document get the Greys' palette selected.

The trick is to keep your favorite palette on top of the list by saving and deleting the other ones, and importing them again.

• Staff

In terms of set as default, this setting is used to create a document palette when creating a new document within the set colour space as R C-R has mentioned, however we are aware that the palette does not switch automatically and this has been logged with the developers, so I will be sure to update the issue with this thread.

15 hours ago, FluorescentTurban said:

2. When I close a file in Affinity, it jumps to the first one in the tab list. I seem to remember it used to do the opposite. Is there a way to switch it back?

As far as I'm aware, Affinity has always behaved like this, and closing a tab will always revert to the first document on the left hand side. I'll move this thread to feature requests for our developers to see and consider! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 hours ago, Wosven said:

That's strange.

AP and AD stay on the last selected palette I used. If I create a new document, the palette stay selected. The same happens when I close and open the apps. When I close different documents with different palettes, this is the last palette that is selected when I reopen the app. (Win 7).

That does not happen for me (macOS High Sierra). The behavior is as @Dan C mentioned -- the first application palette is always selected when a document is opened or created.

10 hours ago, Wosven said:

The trick is to keep your favorite palette on top of the list by saving and deleting the other ones, and importing them again.

That works to this extent:

I exported the Greys application palette, deleted it, & reimported it. This moved it to the last position in the application palette list, making the Colours one the first one in that part of the list. But as I said above, now the Colours palette is the one shown for new or opened documents.

So in effect, to make a favorite palette the one that always shows in the Swatches panel, it would be necessary to export every application palette, delete them all, create a new application palette with ones favorite swatches in it (so it is the only application palette), & the reimport all the deleted ones (so they appear after it on the list).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

41 minutes ago, Dan C said:

In terms of set as default, this setting is used to create a document palette when creating a new document within the set colour space as R C-R has mentioned ...

I don't want any default document palette to be included with every RGB-8 file I create. If & when I want to include one, I would prefer to do that manually, & in general it would not always be the same one anyway.

So is there any simple way to reset this so that no document palette is created after setting a default one? Now that I have tested the feature by setting the default RGB-8 document palette to Colours, all I seem to be able to do is set another palette as the default. :(

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Unfortunately this is a current by-product of using the default options and I have yet been unable to find a way to restore this to default, even through a CTRL start up procedure.

I've logged this with the developers as a bug, as there certainly should be a way of reverting this. The current workaround I have found is to rename or delete the App Data for Designer and re-start the program. Sorry there's no easy way around this currently!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

The current workaround I have found is to rename or delete the App Data for Designer and re-start the program.

I was not sure what you meant by "App Data for Designer," but I took a guess & renamed the file at the file path below to "RGBA8.propcol(old)" & that seems to have worked. Yay! :)

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/DefaultPalette/RGBA8.propcol

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Sorry, I could have been clearer there, apologies! :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Just now, Dan C said:

Sorry, I could have been clearer there, apologies! :)

No worries. I am just glad that you found the workaround & that it works. It is an easy enough thing for a user to do that it probably isn't worth much of the developers' time to provide an in-app way to reset the default to none. Instead, it would be time better spent on making the panel switch to the default document palette if one is set.... ¬¬

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

As far as I'm aware, Affinity has always behaved like this, and closing a tab will always revert to the first document on the left hand side. I'll move this thread to feature requests for r developers to see and consider! :)

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it! I know devs don't want to add a million settings, but it's definitely something that could save me (and probably a lot of others) a ton of time.