Big

Smudge Tool acting strange

Hi

I wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing this? this is strange. as i know, smudge tool shouldnt act like that. Refer to attached photo. it seems like when i use smudge tool, it brings layer, regardless of any brush i use. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 11.50.00 PM.png

2 hours ago, Big said:

Hi

I wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing this? this is strange. as i know, smudge tool shouldnt act like that. Refer to attached photo. it seems like when i use smudge tool, it brings layer, regardless of any brush i use. 

Yes, that's familiar to me.

A brush stroke is made of a series of dabs of the brush head. Reduce the spacing in the brush's controls to make the dabs close enough together that they appear to be a smudge. The smallest spacing (1% of brush size) isn't small enough for smudging hard edges with large brushes, but the 64 px brush in your screenshot can be made to work well.

The Smudge Brush Tool should have its own brush controls accessed with a More button in the context panel like every other brush-based tool, in my opinion, but the developers haven't provided that for some reason. (It should also have an option to sample from current layer and below instead of only the current layer, but that's not there either.)

You can access the brush's controls by double-clicking the brush in Brushes panel. The brush editor has a Duplicate button so you can duplicate an existing brush then scroll to bottom of the brush list and select and edit the duplicate if you want to maintain the original for other uses.

Also, you can associate a tool with a brush so that selecting the brush will automatically activate the tool.