You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do revert to the default 'Greys' pallet? I have a number of unwanted greys that I can only delete one at a time or is there a way to delete multiple greys?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

If you have some custom swatches you could export them first and then go to Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Fills, then import the custom swatches back into Affinity.

5ae5edc75ed71_ScreenShot2018-04-29at17_05_43.png.e86e665ff38db2bea34c231825ea7721.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks.

How do I create a pallet where new colours, as I use them, are saved? At the moment they just get added to the grey swatch.

The 'Recent' swatch can only hold 10 colours.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

12 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Thanks.

How do I create a pallet where new colours, as I use them, are saved? At the moment they just get added to the grey swatch.

The 'Recent' swatch can only hold 10 colours.

Click on the Swatches burger menu, and Add one.

pal.jpg.8dbb9b233fe44f9b9dca9118489be0c4.jpg

An Application Palette will be available in every Designer document you open/create.

A Document Palette is available in the current document only

Make sure that that palette is selected when you add colours. Use the same burger menu to rename it to something useful.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

p.s. If you select the Colour Picker tool and Cmd + Click on a colour, it will create a new palette for you and add the colour you just clicked on to it. Other colours you click on will be added to it too.

However, it is a Document Palette and only available in that document.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks again.

Excuse my thickyness but I selected 'Document palette' and selected a colour fill but it only appeared in the 'Recent palette'. Also how do I name the palette?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

51 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I selected 'Document palette' and selected a colour fill but it only appeared in the 'Recent palette'.

There are two buttons next to the palette name, one for adding the current fill to the palette and another for adding it as a global colour. Alternatively, if you right-click an object on the canvas and choose 'Add to Swatches...' you'll get a submenu from where you can choose 'From Fill/Line/Both (As Global)'.

57 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Also how do I name the palette?

As @toltec said:

1 hour ago, toltec said:

Use the same burger menu to rename it to something useful.

I don't know why a new palette is created as 'Unnamed', leaving us to rename it as a separate step, but it is what it is.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

There are two buttons next to the palette name, one for adding the current fill to the palette and another for adding it as a global colour. Alternatively, if you right-click an object on the canvas and choose 'Add to Swatches...' you'll get a submenu from where you can choose 'From Fill/Line/Both (As Global)'.

As @toltec said:

I don't know why a new palette is created as 'Unnamed', leaving us to rename it as a separate step, but it is what it is.

That goes for Assets too and symbols.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

My guess is they thought users either might not want to bother giving the palette a descriptive name or might not be ready to do that (particularly for document palettes) at creation time. Personally, I would be happier if the defaults were just "document palette" & "application palette," but what I really would like is a separate "Swatches Manager" Studio panel that allowed renaming, reordering, deleting, & duplicating palettes & swatches, offering drag & drop reordering & such.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

My guess is they thought users either might not want to bother giving the palette a descriptive name or might not be ready to do that (particularly for document palettes) at creation time.

The obvious way to address that problem is to put the default text ‘Unnamed’ in the text box in the naming dialog, allowing the user to simply press ‘OK’ if they don’t want to change it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

My guess is they thought users either might not want to bother giving the palette a descriptive name or might not be ready to do that (particularly for document palettes) at creation time.

That just promotes laziness and an untidy swatch, asset, style, symbol and anything else that can create a preset list. This is touted as a professional piece of software so efficiency is an essential feature, I mean can you imagine the chaos if, as a mankini model I didn't have my mankini's with labels on them in order of snugness, fabric and colour, my god man, I just shudder thinking about the calamities that would befall the world. (You have been warned hahaha!)

170778.jpg.4b9586aab53bf6c961c6059d50e52abb.jpg

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

The obvious way to address that problem is to put the default text ‘Unnamed’ in the text box in the naming dialog, allowing the user to simply press ‘OK’ if they don’t want to change it.

Doing that would still mean dismissing the naming dialog if users did not want to give the palette a descriptive name at creation time. Although that is only a one step process, some users already complain about anything that involves an extra step they do not think is necessary, so I suspect this is a no win situation for Affinity, no matter what they do about it.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

That just promotes laziness and an untidy swatch, asset, style, symbol and anything else that can create a preset list.

Not every user cares about making everything 'tidy' all the time -- for example, I sometimes create a document palette just for temporary use & delete it before saving the file, so I don't really care what name it has during its brief existence.

Symbols inherit the name of the item in the Layers panel they are created from; they only default to "Symbol" if the user has not given the item a name. Likewise for Assets, except they default to the item type (Group, Curve, etc.) if they have not been given a name in the Layers panel.

Styles default to numbered names ("Style 2,""Style 3," etc.) but because the Styles panel only allows room for (I think) a maximum of 15 characters of the style name to be displayed & it often can be difficult to dream up a meaningful 15 character name for any of the more complex possible styles, I usually am OK with these defaults, at least until I have created enough of them in a category to decide if or how their names & the category name should be modified to be more meaningful to me. Styles are another thing I wish had a "Styles Manager" Studio panel, here allowing renaming, moving styles to different categories, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7