N'Awlins Contrarian

[Fixed] Affinity Photo error opening TIFF (grayscale, 16-bit)

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.6.4 on a Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium machine. I have some TIFFs that Affinity Photo does not open correctly--even though Windows Photo Viewer, DxO PhotoLab, and GIMP open them fine. For whatever it may matter, these TIFFs are grayscale instead of RGB, and are 16 bits per pixel. Opening the file brought up the Develop persona instead of the Photo persona. The file displayed completely wrong--grossly over-exposed, high contrast, like somebody had grabbed the top right of the tone curve and dragged it almost all the way to the left edge (while leaving it at the top). The first attachment is a screen capture from immediately after opening the file. The second attachment is a screen capture of the same file opened in Windows Photo Viewer, which displayed it correctly.

Back to the Affinity screen capture. Note the histogram at top right, which seems to correspond to what I see. Maybe more significantly, note the "RGBA/32 (HDR) - RAW" text toward the top left, which seems to be wrong. In other words, Affinity appears to be misconstruing what it's opening.

Just as an experiment, I clicked Develop, but the image did not get fixed or even change appreciably.

Also: this is a big file, over 150 MB and 80 MP (it's a scan of an old 8x10 negative). In case you want to experiment, the file's page at the U.S. Library of Congress is:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/det/item/2016796043/

and the direct location of the full-resolution TIFF is:

http://cdn.loc.gov/master/pnp/det/4a20000/4a23000/4a23600/4a23684a.tif

Thanks!

AP 1.6.4 TIFF error.jpg

WPF on TIFF.jpg

On a recent, up-to-date Mac, I am using a Plustek scanner with the latest SilverFast 8. I am scanning black and white negatives to 16 bit tiffs. They come into the Develop mode all washed out, but I seem to be able to adjust them to an acceptable result.

Question 1:

Are the final results effected by the poor initial state on opening?

On a recent, up-to-date Mac, I am using a Plustek scanner with the latest SilverFast 8. I am scanning black and white negatives to 16 bit tiffs. They come into the Develop mode all washed out, but I seem to be able to adjust them to an acceptable result. I have found that 48 bit tiffs (which are very large) import as expected, as well as psd files (which are about the same size as the 16 bit).

Question 2: Do the .psd files have the same depth of information from the scan as the .tiff that would let me adjust it fully in Affinity Photo?

On 4/29/2018 at 12:31 PM, MEB said:

Hi N'Awlins Contrarian,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for reporting this. It shouldn't be opening in Develop Persona at all.

I've logged the issue to be looked at.

Does the Affinity Pro Team care about black and white photographers? This problem, acknowledged in April 2018, is serious because it prevents working with  black and white scans. Either show some progress on a fix, or offer a refund.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, MEB said:

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next Windows release.

What about the Mac version?

On 12/17/2018 at 11:36 AM, MEB said:

Hi Affinitypro,
It was also fixed on Mac. The reply I gave above is scripted and posted automatically when we set the thread as fixed.

I'm running Affinity Photo 1.6.7. So the next release will have the fix then.

Greetings - I am having exactly the opposite problem. I scan b&w negs to 16bit grayscale tiff and would like to be able to use the develop persona without having to convert to RGB first. Seems odd that I can't use the develop persona with grayscale.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:36 AM, MEB said:

Hi Affinitypro,
It was also fixed on Mac. The reply I gave above is scripted and posted automatically when we set the thread as fixed.

I'm seeing the same issue with RGB files now, as well as greyscale. Is the fix going to be released any time soon?

Hi seals and Affinitypro,
Sorry the delayed reply. The latest Beta already contains the fix mentioned in this thread. If you still have issues opening TIFF files please attach a sample here so we can take a look at them. You can download the latest Affinity Photo Beta from those threads in case you are willing giving them a try:

@rseals
Currently Affinity Photo Develop Persona only works with RAW files or RGB layers by design.