shushustorm

Nested symbols break instance connections

Hey everyone!

I hope this is not intentional, so I post this in bug reports.

When you have symbols in a group and create a symbol of that group, everything will keep working at first.

You can still change the original symbols and those changes will be reflected in their instances.

However, when I delete the parent symbol, all the layers it contains will lose their instanced connection to their symbol.

I attached a test file that shows this.

If you delete 01_Tile from the Symbols window, "Mirroring" will lose the connections to its instances.

Best wishes,

Shu

EDIT:

I am using Affinity Designer 1.6.0

test.afdesign

Thanks for naming 1.6.1.

However, I try to avoid updating as much as possible to ensure a stable working environment. (Only for critical bug fixes and features that actually make a fundamental difference in my workflow)

On 30.4.2018 at 9:52 AM, MEB said:

Hi shushustorm,

Thanks for your file and report. Apparently since the second symbol also includes the elements from the first all elements get detached from both symbols when you delete the second. I will check with dev if it's intended to work like this.

Hey MEB!

Thanks for forwarding this!

As stated, I really hope this is not intended. Because if so, the workflow seems like a one-way road. Once you inherit from a symbol, the parent will be necessary, you basically cannot go back anymore without breaking all the detail symbols.

Personally, I would like to use most symbols like this:

1_Ornament

1_1_Part

1_1_1_Detail

1_1_2_Detail

1_2_Part

1_2_1_Detail

1_2_2_Detail

2_Ornament

[...]

, which is quite faster to work with than using detail symbols only (, but, right now, also very dangerous).

On 4/30/2018 at 2:52 AM, MEB said:

Hi shushustorm,

Thanks for your file and report. Apparently since the second symbol also includes the elements from the first all elements get detached from both symbols when you delete the second. I will check with dev if it's intended to work like this.

@MEB Have you since checked? If so, is this intentional?