Not sure if this is a known issue, so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

I have a new project folder, in that project folder I have (currently) 2 files. My main document which has only one layer at the moment, and a separate photo I'm masking my subject out in. I need to copy the masked layer of the subject into the document with the background. When I select the subject layer, select "copy" and attempt to paste this layer and it's mask into my background document, the layer and it's mask are pasted, but the actual subject in the layer is missing. This is repeatable without change.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

AP-Paste-Empty.jpg

Sounds like you are simply copying the mask. Try inverting the selection and then copy and paste. That should give you just the subject.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.3  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

I'm copying the entire layer. I can copy the mask alone, and it will paste the mask as it's own layer. In this example, I need the entire layer, mask included. I don't want to copy and paste the rasterized, or masked part only. Take a look at the screen shot, you'll see the layer is blank but also has the mask as a child of the layer. So it's copying the layer and it's mask, but not copying the contents of the layer itself.

I'm assuming you want the person (only) to appear in the photo of the street? One way.... All you need to do is copy the street photo and 'Place’ that photo into the file with the masked person. Tap on the canvas to place the photo and drag corner boxes to size it to canvas. Highlight the layer and drag it below the layer with the masked image. The placed photo (your streetcar black background in example below) now becomes the background behind the man. Move the background around the canvas to get the right positioning.

Refer attached pics. Other way is to go to Selection persona, highlight mask layer and double tap screen, reselect, go to photo persona, double tap and invert selection. Now go to copy (makes a copy of the selected person only). Paste copy in to other street file.

Also make sure any layer 'images' are rasterised to 'Pixels'.

First way is my preferred.

9BFFCE56-BE68-4617-8347-2AC0E51F8CEA.jpeg

43BDABD3-BB36-4676-BA6D-95E8344176C9.jpeg

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.3  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

OK, I'm a dork lol. I know how to paste a layer, been doing it for years. The problem was the layer I was copying was so much bigger than the document I was pasting into that the layer appeared blank even though the mask layer showed the correctly sized mask. Duh! So, once I realized that, I laughed (a little) and my problem went away.

I'm so used to how things work/look in the desktop environment that I wrongly expect them to work/look the same way in the iPad/mobile environment. My bad. I'm still getting used to the differences in the UI.

Anyway... nothing to see here. Moving along. ;)