You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A 19th century style pen drawing

gdenby

Hi, all,

Something I think is worth showing before I put it aside.

This is a transcription of a photo by Greek brothers named Zangaki, who worked in the later half of the 19th century. They are noted for there documentary work in Egypt. I came across their work about 8 weeks ago, and was impressed by the quality of the photos. My image was drawn from several reproductions, and the subject was sometimes identified as a scholar, or professor from Cairo.

What I'm showing is a third iteration. Earlier ones used my own vector brushes, and/or various blend and opacity manipulations. Some promising effects, but definitely not ready for prime time. What is shown in this is AD pencil lines w. curve pressure variations. Mostly done with just a mouse, but some w. a Huion tablet. The layers were duplicated, and gaussian blurred to make the image somewhat more like a traditional ink on paper where the media bleeds a little. I was trying for something like I used to do w. crow's quill pens, or fine sable brushes.

Time to move on to apply some of what I've learned to another subject.

ZangakiScholar.thumb.jpg.af66cda2d0deace54c16b2c81ec0db20.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Glad you like it, Alfred. Its fairly uneven, in part because I haven't had any long stretches of time for the past few months, so I couldn't quite get into a groove.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet