You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Highlighted object on selection

I don't know if this is a bug or what, but when I select a object in the layers panel, the previously selected object is temporarily highlighted in magenta which then fades away.  Anytime I select an object in the layers panel, I immediately try to locate the NEWLY selected object on the artboard.  Unfortunately, highlighting the previously selected object draws my eyes to it instead and is very distracting. 

This would be a great feature if it highlighted the NEWLY selected object, but not the way it works now.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Pam. :)

The magenta/purple temporary highlighting identifies snapping candidates. You can change the behaviour via the magnet icon on the main toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can’t reproduce the behaviour with ‘Show snapping candidates’ switched off. Perhaps someone else will explain what’s going on.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't get any temporary highlighting, whether "show snapping candidates" is on or off. With it on, all the snapping candidates have a permanent purple/magenta outline. But in any case, my newly selected object has the standard blue selection box around it and is very obvious.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just spent about 10 minutes playing with it. The temporary highlighting behavior is inconsistent, occuring maybe 75% of the time, but when it does occur, it's always the previously selected object. It doesn't occur when all snapping is off. 

If I turn on "show snapping candidates" MOST of the snapping candidates have the outline Walt describes, but not all (granted, I may not understand what AD considers a candidate).  And the outlineremains around some objects even after deselecting.

I don't know if this is related, but I'm also having trouble with Edit All Layers, which seems to be stuck in the off mode. I can't select multiple objects in the layers panel from different layers or from sublayers regardless of whether Edit All Layers is on or off. 

Rebooting.

AD highlight bug.JPG

• Staff

Hi Pammiller,

This is by design. The highlight and fade-out is just to inform you that this object is has now been added to the Candidate List. If you continue to select the 6 same objects you will not get this, as the snapping candidates are not changing. If you enable 'Show Snapping Candidates' then those 6 objects will always appear purple (instead of fading out).

If you change from Candidate List to All layers/Immediate layers then you do not get this highlight as the Candidate List is not being used.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.