You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affine supporting curves and groups

Hey everyone!

I am working a lot on patterns (literally hundreds) that I want to repeat on both x and y later on.

For doing so, it would be very useful to be able to offset and repeat (wrap) curves and groups using Affine and being able to access Affine in Designer.

Right now, it only seems accessible in Photo and trying to Affine curves or groups will rasterize them.

Best wishes,

Shu

In the absence of a vector pattern tool in Affinity Designer, I think the only way to create repeating vector patterns is to use the Symbols and ‘Power Duplicate’ features.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Using symbols is just like what I am doing right now as a workaround, but unfortunately, that's not very convenient, because I don't want to expport the whole arranged pattern, I only need one tile per exported file. So I have to delete the duplicates and resize before exporting or work at double the size and automate cropping in Photo.

8 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

So I have to delete the duplicates and resize before exporting or work at double the size

What’s wrong with working at double the size if it gives you the export size that you want? As for deleting the duplicates, you shouldn’t need to do that if you select a single tile and choose the ‘Selection without background’ export option.

Alfred spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

What’s wrong with working at double the size if it gives you the export size that you want? As for deleting the duplicates, you shouldn’t need to do that if you select a single tile and choose the ‘Selection without background’ export option.

Thanks for your suggestions! Exporting the selection probably doesn't work, though, because when I work at double the size, the tiles won't have straight edges when painting outside of the square that originally was the border of the whole document. I may be able to set the export size to half, but I'm not sure if this will resample the image, which I am trying to avoid; and even then, I need to offset in Photo by 50%. Maybe I should upload an image to show the issue more clearly.

EDIT:

Also, mirroring sometimes doesn't work when painting from one instance of a symbol into the other instance (see attached image, pink note).

EDIT 2: test.png: Added note

test.thumb.png.4b5664c5bce9ea76a4b9bc3e08c7cfff.png

test.afdesign

1 hour ago, shushustorm said:

Maybe I should upload an image to show the issue more clearly.

Thanks for the example. I can see the issue clearly enough, but I’m afraid I don’t have any idea how to tackle it. :(

Alfred spacer.png