You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to synchronize the settings with other images of the selection?

Hi,

I would like to ask you, when the Photo Affinty will be able to safe and synchronize the settings of RAW develloppement, made for an image with other images of the selection?

King regards,

Hubert

• 4 weeks later...

I am confused.  Is there no way to do this?  With Adobe Camera Raw, I can make adjustments to raw images and then synchronize (choosing exactly which adjustments to synchronize) settings to any number of other similar raw photos.  Without this ability, I just don't see why anyone would want to use Affinity Photo at all.

Afinity is a very good product, but very young and some of his functions must be improved.

I am panoramic photographer. To obtain the better result, I need to convert my RAW files with the same adjustments.

11 hours ago, FMR said:

I can make adjustments to raw images and then synchronize (choosing exactly which adjustments to synchronize) settings to any number of other similar raw photos. 

Hello @FMR,

at the top right of the settings panel there is a small icon with four horizontal white lines and a (very) small arrow pointing downwards. Click on this and you are presented with a menu that includes 'Add Preset'. This is how you save your settings.

To recall those settings click on the dropdownlist next to 'Preset:' at the top of that panel and choose one of your previously saved settings.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Where is the "Settings Panel"?  I have looked throughout the Affinity Photo Develop Persona layout and cannot see anything like you describe.  I do see a small lined box that when I click on it says "Advanced".  Nothing about settings.  There is no choice anywhere that I can see in the elaborate menu system about "Settings".  This layout and process should be included in tutorials somewhere (perhaps it is and I've missed it - if so can someone point me in the right direction).  It would be part of most people's workflow.  Very important!  Why can't I find the details and demos on this?  I want so much to be able to fit Affinity Photo into my workflow and eliminate my dependency on Adobe.

9 minutes ago, FMR said:

Where is the "Settings Panel"?

2018-05-27.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Where is Settings in that?  Nowhere anywhere is the word "Settings"  It sounds like it should be easy to do what I want to do.  A tutorial on adjustment synchronization would be an important one to have.  Where is it?

That is the panel. Each tab controls a group of settings. For each tab, when you're done, you can save a preset that you can then use (for that tab) on the next image you process.

I've no idea why you don't have the menu icon in yours. (I see you do have it in the panel below that (Navigator/History/...).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, FMR said:

Where is the "Settings Panel"?

Hi @FMR,

I am sorry if I used a wording that does not exactly reflect what you actually see on screen. Actually I thought (and still think) that the panel next to the image with various parameter setting options could be called 'Settings Panel'. My intention is to help and not to confuse :)

Does anyone know of a tutorial that covers this basic process?

Back to your question:
There is a YouTube tutorial on this (it's not perfect but should explain how it works):

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

57 minutes ago, FMR said:

1538503036_ScreenShot2018-05-27at10_42_58AM.jpg.8908718205d10f258eb9d01fc768d26a.jpgThis is what my settings panel looks like.  No little lined box.

Try to make it a little wider. Maybe the little lined box has drifted off to the right side?

If so, this would be a bug that you can report. I see it differently:

dropdownmenu.PNG

d.

Thank you Dominik,

I had no idea of the existence of the possibility of saving such presets. It is useful. But, it is really complicated! It is necessary to name every selection, in more - separately for the "basic" tab, « lens » and "details ». It is necessary to re-click every name to apply a preset to every new photo. If meanwhile, we change a single parameter, it is necessary to rename!

The synchronization that I’m talking about has to be applied only once for a selection of the photos of a single panorama. It has no sense to keep its name for other cases which will be different. One of my 360° photo is composed of 6 pictures with triple bracketing (18 images to be treated with the same presets). One virtual tour may have 15 panoramas = 45 presets (3 tabs). I make 4 - 8 virtual tour per month. How to manage a mass of presets?

Why not to propose a synchronization simple and immediate as in LR or Capture One?

Update:  as you may note (I did belatedly) in my screen shot above, the preset choice has moved to a "hard" button just below the panel menu.  This works as previously described by Domonik.  This does show how to do this and thank you all for your help.

However, I must say I agree with Hubas.  This whole process is too time consuming.  Whereas in Adobe Camera Raw I can make suitable adjustments and then synchronize a whole slew of like images and that synchronization takes place in a matter of a few seconds for tens of images and then a few more seconds to save adjusted images (with the adjustments saved in xml files, or perhaps 10 seconds to save each jpeg copy;  in Affinity Photo it takes several minutes to 1) use the preset, 2) commit the Develop and 3) save (Export) a jpeg.  I am working with 42 megapixel raw files from my Sony AR7III.  It takes Affinity Photo 30 seconds to load these raw files.  Once adjustments are made, hitting Develop to commit the changes takes about 45 seconds to get back to the main Persona to do the export.  I cannot understand why Affinity takes so long.

I have been using Affinity Photo to do focus merges and, though the process takes a bit longer than Adobe Photoshop Align, Blend a stack, the results in Affinity Photo are much better.  If I load raw files into the focus merge "engine" the process takes very long.  If I load jpeg copies, the Focus Merge takes place much faster (this suggests that Affinity Photo stores raw versus jpeg files in different forms in its working memory.  For now, to take advantage of Affinity Photo's superior focus merge, I will have to use Adobe Camera Raw to process the files into jpegs, then use Affinity Photo to do the focus merges on the jpegs.

Please Affinity, if you are listening, improve the raw file importing speed and change the Develop module so it works more efficiently.

18 hours ago, hubas said:

Afinity is a very good product, but very young and some of his functions must be improved.

Hello @hubas,

I should have included this quote from you before mentioning the presets in the Develop Persona.

You and @FMR are right in pointing out that the whole process is not streamlined yet.

Please Affinity, if you are listening

You can be sure that the Affinity team is monitoring this forum and takes notes. Even if they don't respond to every of our posts here.
You can not be sure that this will be implemented in the next update, though. Things take their time :)

Cheers to both of you.

d.

• 4 years later...

I'm using the affinity trial and I'm quite disappointed, it does some great things but it can't compete with photoshop as an essential tool because it doesn't do the basics. 

Having to make a preset to apply the same white balance to hundreds of raw photographs from the same location means that this software is not usable for "developing" raw photos. I have shoots from literally thousands of different locations with different lighting. It is so unbelievably infuriating, you cant even copy paste settings, you can't select multiple raw photos at once. 

This thread is 5 years old so they never improved this massive problem. I just want to make a nice panorama without horrible 8 bit glitchy lines in the sky because I have to use jpegs. And aside from image quality I don't get to use the raw editor to adjust white balance and other settings. 

I noticed many other things missing that makes photoshop essential, like holding shift while cropping to maintain the aspect ratio. You have to type the ratio in. It's just too clunky. Even photoshop has a lot of tedious steps that really need to be fixed, but it gets the job done. Affinity should really just clone the whole of photoshop as much as legally possible. I hate adobe and it would give me a lot of true happiness if affinity could be even better than them and take over as the industry standard, but at this point if it's this far behind photoshop's antiquated UI, it looks like I'll have to get rich if I want to do any photography that isn't with a smartphone.