You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.5.109

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• New installer UI!

• Microsoft Store customers can now participate in the customer betas

• Fixed editor boxes not incrementing correctly

• Fixed rendering issues with custom display scales between 125% and 150%

• Fixed PDF import of some inline images

• Fixed crash pasting into Microsoft Paint

• Fixed dialogs not appearing on second monitor 

• Fixed margins not being set for new artboard documents 

• Fixed keyboard shortcuts becoming disabled after pressing Escape in the Pressure dialog 

• Added missing PDF dialog scrollbars 

• Fixed move up/down in the Assets Panel not correctly enabling after moving a category that is first or last 

• Fixed Embed Assets in Current Document selection state being reversed 

• Fixed PDF import preview thumbnail not being colour corrected

• Fixed PDF import preview thumbnail not handling soft masks on groups

• Fixed colour conversion of bitmaps during vector export

• Fixed adjusting line pressure being laggy 

• Fixed deleting a node on the stroke pressure editor not updating the document

• Fixed New Document dialog not being aligned nicely

• Fixed rotating nodes not being remembered

• Fixed editing a Curves Adjustment preventing you from using Keyboard Shortcuts to add additional 

• Fixed unable to type after tabbing when editing a swatch value

• Fixed RGB slider field getting a dotted outline when tabbing into it 

• Fixed pressing delete with a stop selected on the Gradient Flyout deletes the object, not the stop

• Fixed PDF import soft masks taking too long to render

• Fixed sporadic crash when sizing text frames to fit

• Fixed PDF import crash loading unrecognised JPEG2000 variant

• Fixed PDF import crash with coloured pattern space

• Fixed editing a guide in Guides Manager not correctly changing selection 

• Fixed adding colour to swatch causes crash 

• Fixed shaking a floating panel minimizes other panels

• Fixed fill layers built-in masks are broken 

• Fixed export area dropdown not working like the macOS version 

• Fixed Pen tool to add snapping while restart dragging under Pen mode

As with Affinity Photo beta build 1.6.5.109, I couldn't access the options on the first screen of the installer.

AD_1-6-5-109_Beta-installer.png.b6659bd7f289769b0f823d458e494125.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As with Affinity Photo beta build 1.6.5.109, I couldn't access the options on the first screen of the installer.

Reply given here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the latest Beta....more testing:)

Like the New UI installer...seems quicker....

Actually read the EULA....point 25 has a spelling error!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

4 hours ago, Stuart_R said:

Is the EULA stored anywhere accessible? I didn't read it in detail when I first ran the installer, and it wasn't displayed again when I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Thanks for your feedback and critique.

25.         SERIF AND ITS LICENORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT ANY SITE, COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE SERIF SOFTWARE.

LICENSORS is misspelled, thank you

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Is the EULA stored anywhere accessible? I didn't read it in detail when I first ran the installer, and it wasn't displayed again when I uninstalled and reinstall the app.

There is now a link in the About box.

Other than the spelling mistake I will see if it the final one that will be in the release software, as it needs to match the one on the website

https://affinity.serif.com/license

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks for your feedback and critique.

LICENSORS is misspelled, thank you

There is now a link in the About box.

Other than the spelling mistake I will see if it the final one that will be in the release software, as it needs to match the one on the website

https://affinity.serif.com/license

...It was only by chance I found it...I don't normally spend my time reading them...!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Is this only windows or it is for mac users too?

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

2 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Is this only windows or it is for mac users too?

This thread is in the ‘Designer Beta on Windows’ forum. There is no beta for Affinity Designer on Mac at the moment.

Alfred spacer.png

By the way, I like the new installer. Very nice. It's clear now we are updating... whereas before, it just looked like a basic install.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

I like it, and the msi creator is nice, too :)

Could be improved if one could predefine the values for the inputfields in the commandline

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Wow ! This version is really cool !

I try to let a file opened and cpu usage stay low. I export a large pdf file, it seems to be faster and the cpu usage does not exceed 67%...

I had a problem with render refresh when I was zooming... Not anymore. :)

Thank you ! \m/

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

• Staff
On 27/04/2018 at 3:12 PM, Stuart_R said:

Thanks, this has been reported to the developers (and may well have been wrong in the installer for many years)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Faster installation was indeed quite noticable and zooming in previous beta of text frame gave jagged displacements in the text, which is cured in this beta. Also selecting text in frame was responsive, which  often was not the case in the previous beta. Kudos to the devs.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

On 30/04/2018 at 6:29 AM, Burny said:

I try to let a file opened and cpu usage stay low. I export a large pdf file, it seems to be faster and the cpu usage does not exceed 67%...

Not quite, unfortunately. It quickly builds up to 40% and stays there even when idle. (See the image below.) I think this issue is still not addressed in this version. Hope it gets fixed soon.

2018-05-03_08-29-34.png

On 30/04/2018 at 6:29 AM, Burny said:

I had a problem with render refresh when I was zooming... Not anymore. :)

Still there. Look at the screenshot below where the render is frozen for several seconds. This bug was introduced some versions ago.

Designer_2018-05-03_10-12-49.png

On 5/2/2018 at 7:06 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi, if you check the list of changes at the top of the post, you'll see the font loading speed hasn't been listed as a thing that was fixed.

I'm glad to hear you are not forget to fix this problem. Thank you.

On 03/05/2018 at 10:16 AM, rubs said:

Still there. Look at the screenshot below where the render is frozen for several seconds. This bug was introduced some versions ago.

Designer_2018-05-03_10-12-49.png

Any hopes here?

I must admit that having joined the beta project some years ago, I did not geet around to installing it then.  I have just tried installing (successfully) but as I should have expected I was told that it had expired!

I have been writing software for halt a century and have a graphic-designer wife.  As packages such as Corel, Inkscape and such develop, the added features have become an encumbrance!  I am now keen to try out Affinity and see if you have fallen into the same errors.

Serif Drawplus looked hopeful, despit its chalky default brush.  But now, with a grandiose Surface Studio, instead of drawing on the 'paper' the brush just moves it around.

I hope that the app store offers a 'try before you buy' option or it will join a host of unused applications!

If it fits the bill, the price will be no problem - after Corel's bonanze from Windows 10 making all previous versions unworkable.  But I still expect that you will see numerous posts of 'helpful' suggestions!

Best wishes

John

• Staff

Hi john,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Have you downloaded the latest Beta from the top of this thread? This one hasn't expired yet but you must have the retail version installed to be able to run it (this is a Customer Beta not a Public Beta as when we start/launched the app initially a couple years ago before its official release. If you don't have bought the retail version, there is a trial available on our website you can test/try. 

Please consider changing your forum username to something else to prevent spammers from getting/harvesting your e-mail.

Serif Drawplus looked hopeful, despite its chalky default brush.  But now, with a grandiose Surface Studio, instead of drawing on the 'paper' the brush just moves it around.

You can use DrawPlus on a touch-enabled screen if you disable the scrollbars. There is an options setting for this, probably somewhere like ‘Tools > Options... > User Interface’.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Have you downloaded the latest Beta from the top of this thread? This one hasn't expired yet but you must have the retail version installed to be able to run it

I believe you only need the product key from the retail version on Windows, although personally I’ve always installed customer betas alongside the retail version so that I can switch between them easily. (Since the Mac version doesn’t have a product key, you have no choice in the matter.)

Please consider changing your forum username to something else to prevent spammers from getting/harvesting your e-mail.

Go to your Account Settings page and click on the ‘Display Name’ link to change your username.

Alfred spacer.png