Mark Ingram

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.5.109

Why somebody who is not a developer would want to use two betas in different locations anyways? For what? Only comments to latest beta are relevant here. It all sounds like a nitpicking. "But hey, it would be better if I could install 7 betas, each in different location, get all confused and comment on already irrelevant issues". Yeah it would be fantastic but you should try USING IT instead of fiddling endlessly with an install. Its way more fun IMO.

On other thought - I would LOVE to have patience of  @Patrick Connor or @Asser82 .

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

Why somebody who is not a developer would want to use two betas in different locations anyways? For what? Only comments to latest beta are relevant here. It all sounds like a nitpicking. "But hey, it would be better if I could install 7 betas, each in different location, get all confused and comment on already irrelevant issues".

Point taken, LOL. It can occasionally be useful if something was broken in the retail version and in the latest beta, and you want to check that you weren’t imagining it was fixed in the previous beta and then broken again, but I suppose such things should be left to the developers or QA staff.

< nitpick >

Nitpicking is uncountable, like sunshine, so (in the same way as we never have two sunshines) you can’t have “a nitpicking” rather than just “nitpicking”.

< /nitpick >

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

There is some discrepancy in the usage of the Denoise Filter in the menu and the Live-Filter.

The Denoise Live-Filter resets the "extreme" checkbox if you go under 50% - the menu filter has a different behaviour.

And the Detail Slider has no function.

10 minutes ago, Asser82 said:

The more interesting question is, why the Affinity guys comment things on sundays, instead of turning their steaks on the grill. Hopefully this does not end in burnouts. :D

You’re not the first one to raise that issue!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

8 minutes ago, lmphotoz said:

@Mark Ingram does the version address the importing of colour profiles into 3rd party plugins ?

It's not shown in the list of fixes at the start of this topic.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

The new beta works well so far for me. But what I noticed is a huge performance deterioration compared to the release version. Everything is far slower, the histogram only updates with delay and merging layers can take really long, definitely much longer than in the retail version. Is this due to some beta debug code? Or something that has been introduced with this beta?

On 30/04/2018 at 11:39 PM, altae said:

The new beta works well so far for me. But what I noticed is a huge performance deterioration compared to the release version. Everything is far slower, the histogram only updates with delay and merging layers can take really long, definitely much longer than in the retail version. Is this due to some beta debug code? Or something that has been introduced with this beta?

Hi, there shouldn't be any performance differences. Can you provide us with a video of the release and beta side by side so we can compare?

I will try to do that. I the meantime I discovered that using the undo and redo commands (I mostly use ctrl + z or ctrl + y for this) is very slow while in the retail version it's almost instant.

I have missed couple betas, This one seems to handle my Wacom ctl-480 much better than previous versions. I have to test it more, but is seems like the initial stroke lag is finally gone.

On 02/05/2018 at 2:03 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi, there shouldn't be any performance differences. Can you provide us with a video of the release and beta side by side so we can compare?

Hi,

I also notice performance decrease or at least a decrease of  processes speed, i.e. I don't get immediately thumbnail contents (please see Scs ; as opposite to the previous beta).

Patrick

Capture.JPG

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

Also noticed a significant drop in performance. Trying to change the size of the brush from a small one to a very sick one (from the tablet wack) leads to a long hang of the program. The cursor changes its size with a long delay, from a few seconds to a minute. At the same time, the CPU utilization is oversized. In the retail version, everything is fine.
And when you move the cursor with the mouse and move the cursor with the stylus pen of the tablet (without pressing), then the performance may also differ significantly (for the mix kishiti).

In this case, the PC is not weak.  i5-4670/8Gb/SSD-disc/GeForce GTX 650

Beta loaded perfectly.

Any news on faster loading of RAF files?

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64

Another thing I noticed: Every now and then the histogram won't update anymore. I need to save the document to get it to respond again.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, hifred said:

Thanks!
Just to let you know – Wacom Pen input (Cintiq) is still utterly broken here. Works with no issues in Photoshop CS6, Zbrush, 3DCoat etc.
The second post in the linked thread shows the bugs (short clips).

Hi! Unfortunately, I can confirm that!

Using a Wacom Cintiq Companion, Windows 10 1709. Clip Studio etc. work flawlessly, but AP is almost unusable when drawing. Very slow viewport performance, 'jumpy' brush... maybe the palm recognition is broken?

... CPU load is pretty high, too, the fan is often at maximum.

Just doing some rather simple line artwork here.

Thanks!