You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.5.109

Why somebody who is not a developer would want to use two betas in different locations anyways? For what? Only comments to latest beta are relevant here. It all sounds like a nitpicking. "But hey, it would be better if I could install 7 betas, each in different location, get all confused and comment on already irrelevant issues". Yeah it would be fantastic but you should try USING IT instead of fiddling endlessly with an install. Its way more fun IMO.

On other thought - I would LOVE to have patience of  @Patrick Connor or @Asser82 .

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

Why somebody who is not a developer would want to use two betas in different locations anyways? For what? Only comments to latest beta are relevant here. It all sounds like a nitpicking. "But hey, it would be better if I could install 7 betas, each in different location, get all confused and comment on already irrelevant issues".

Point taken, LOL. It can occasionally be useful if something was broken in the retail version and in the latest beta, and you want to check that you weren’t imagining it was fixed in the previous beta and then broken again, but I suppose such things should be left to the developers or QA staff.

< nitpick >

Nitpicking is uncountable, like sunshine, so (in the same way as we never have two sunshines) you can’t have “a nitpicking” rather than just “nitpicking”.

< /nitpick >

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Asser82 said:

The more interesting question is, why the Affinity guys comment things on sundays, instead of turning their steaks on the grill. Hopefully this does not end in burnouts. :D

You’re not the first one to raise that issue!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Please can we keep all posts going forward in this forum relevant to the beta builds, thanks. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

8 minutes ago, lmphotoz said:

@Mark Ingram does the version address the importing of colour profiles into 3rd party plugins ?

It's not shown in the list of fixes at the start of this topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The new beta works well so far for me. But what I noticed is a huge performance deterioration compared to the release version. Everything is far slower, the histogram only updates with delay and merging layers can take really long, definitely much longer than in the retail version. Is this due to some beta debug code? Or something that has been introduced with this beta?

On 30/04/2018 at 11:39 PM, altae said:

The new beta works well so far for me. But what I noticed is a huge performance deterioration compared to the release version. Everything is far slower, the histogram only updates with delay and merging layers can take really long, definitely much longer than in the retail version. Is this due to some beta debug code? Or something that has been introduced with this beta?

Hi, there shouldn't be any performance differences. Can you provide us with a video of the release and beta side by side so we can compare?

I will try to do that. I the meantime I discovered that using the undo and redo commands (I mostly use ctrl + z or ctrl + y for this) is very slow while in the retail version it's almost instant.

Also noticed a significant drop in performance. Trying to change the size of the brush from a small one to a very sick one (from the tablet wack) leads to a long hang of the program. The cursor changes its size with a long delay, from a few seconds to a minute. At the same time, the CPU utilization is oversized. In the retail version, everything is fine.
And when you move the cursor with the mouse and move the cursor with the stylus pen of the tablet (without pressing), then the performance may also differ significantly (for the mix kishiti).

In this case, the PC is not weak.  i5-4670/8Gb/SSD-disc/GeForce GTX 650

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Beta loaded perfectly.

Any news on faster loading of RAF files?

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, hifred said:

Thanks!
Just to let you know – Wacom Pen input (Cintiq) is still utterly broken here. Works with no issues in Photoshop CS6, Zbrush, 3DCoat etc.
The second post in the linked thread shows the bugs (short clips).

Hi! Unfortunately, I can confirm that!

Using a Wacom Cintiq Companion, Windows 10 1709. Clip Studio etc. work flawlessly, but AP is almost unusable when drawing. Very slow viewport performance, 'jumpy' brush... maybe the palm recognition is broken?

... CPU load is pretty high, too, the fan is often at maximum.

Just doing some rather simple line artwork here.

Thanks!