You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.5.109

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• New installer UI!

• Microsoft Store customers can now participate in the customer betas

• Fixed editor boxes not incrementing correctly

• Fixed rendering issues with custom display scales between 125% and 150%

• Fixed PDF import of some inline images

• Fixed crash pasting into Microsoft Paint

• Fixed some HDR images not loading

• Fixed dialogs not appearing on second monitor 

• Fixed keyboard shortcuts becoming disabled after pressing Escape in the Pressure dialog 

• Added missing PDF dialog scrollbars 

• Fixed PDF import preview thumbnail not being colour corrected

• Fixed PDF import preview thumbnail not handling soft masks on groups

• Fixed colour conversion of bitmaps during vector export

• Fixed adjusting line pressure being laggy 

• Fixed deleting a node on the stroke pressure editor not updating the document

• Fixed New Document dialog not being aligned nicely

• Fixed rotating nodes not being remembered

• Fixed editing a Curves Adjustment preventing you from using Keyboard Shortcuts to add additional 

• Fixed unable to type after tabbing when editing a swatch value

• Fixed RGB slider field getting a dotted outline when tabbing into it 

• Fixed pressing delete with a stop selected on the Gradient Flyout deletes the object, not the stop

• Fixed PDF import soft masks taking too long to render

• Fixed Colour Replacement brush missing options on context toolbar 

• Fixed sporadic crash when sizing text frames to fit

• Fixed PDF import crash loading unrecognised JPEG2000 variant

• Fixed PDF import crash with coloured pattern space

• Fixed editing a guide in Guides Manager not correctly changing selection 

• Fixed Develop Persona lens adjustments rotation values differing to macOS

• Fixed Lens filter CMYK colour sliders jitter between values 

• Fixed adding colour to swatch causes crash 

• Fixed shaking a floating panel minimizes other panels

• Fixed fill layers built-in masks are broken 

• Fixed export area dropdown not working like the macOS version 

• Fixed Pen tool to add snapping while restart dragging under Pen mode

Installing now. Not that it matters to me personally, but I found that I couldn't use any of the option controls (i.e. the location text box, the ellipsis button and the 'Create a shortcut' checkbox) on the first screen of the installer.

APh_1-6-5-109_Beta-installer.png.b8b6062aca84cbe6218753c7958c3921.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the explanation, Mark, but it doesn't sound very optional! I might want to choose a different location for this beta install, or change my mind about whether or not to put a shortcut on the Desktop.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for the explanation, Mark, but it doesn't sound very optional! I might want to choose a different location for this beta install, or change my mind about whether or not to put a shortcut on the Desktop.

Then you have the choice to uninstall the previous installer first

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Then you have the choice to uninstall the previous installer first

Yes, of course, but that seems unnecessarily complicated for anyone who does actually want to change their settings. Why not simply display the existing settings if there are any, or the defaults if not, and allow the user to change them if they want to?

Alfred spacer.png

Having just installed the new betas of Photo and Designer on Win10, I noticed another change to the prior betas and retail versions that I've installed.

Previously when installing a new version the program would show up in the Windows Start Menu as a "Recently Added" program. That did not happen with this new beta. I'm not sure this should be considered a problem, and maybe it's intentional, but thought I'd mention it as it could be confusing to users.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Guys. About to install inow

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

• Staff
39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Having just installed the new betas of Photo and Designer on Win10, I noticed another change to the prior betas and retail versions that I've installed.

Previously when installing a new version the program would show up in the Windows Start Menu as a "Recently Added" program. That did not happen with this new beta. I'm not sure this should be considered a problem, and maybe it's intentional, but thought I'd mention it as it could be confusing to users.

Hi,

Do you mind telling us if you think this was an "update" to the beta that was already installed (like Alfred has described) or if you had already uninstalled the previous beta?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Do you mind telling us if you think this was an "update" to the beta that was already installed (like Alfred has described) or if you had already uninstalled the previous beta?

Sorry, Patrick; should have mentioned that.

I had not uninstalled the previous beta. I generally have let the new beta uninstall the older one, which has previously resulted in Windows considering the new beta to be a newly installed program.

I followed the same procedure this time, and noticed the different result. If the new process followed by your installers is treating it as  an update and not a reinstall, that may explain the results I saw. [Edit: And that's why I wasn't sure this should be viewed as an issue :) ]

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
Just now, walt.farrell said:

I generally have let the new beta uninstall the older one, which has previously resulted in Windows considering the new beta to be a newly installed program.

I followed the same procedure this time, and noticed the different result. If the new process followed by your installers is treating it as  an update and not a reinstall, that may explain the results I saw.

Thank you that is what I thought, please don't apologise it's just nice to get the feedback and interaction from customers.

This installer is almost 100% new and the different behaviour is what we are looking for, and use the reports to decide if it is desirable. I think if you "update" an existing install it is like a patch and not really "recently installed", even though both appearing there and not appearing there both make some sense.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Installing now. Not that it matters to me personally, but I found that I couldn't use any of the option controls (i.e. the location text box, the ellipsis button and the 'Create a shortcut' checkbox) on the first screen of the installer.

APh_1-6-5-109_Beta-installer.png.b8b6062aca84cbe6218753c7958c3921.png

In that case it might be better to remove the UI, and just have Update and Close available.

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Not that it matters to me personally, but I found that I couldn't use any of the option controls (i.e. the location text box, the ellipsis button and the 'Create a shortcut' checkbox) on the first screen of the installer.

22 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

In that case it might be better to remove the UI, and just have Update and Close available.

It's your call, of course, Mark, but as I suggested earlier:

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why not simply display the existing settings if there are any, or the defaults if not, and allow the user to change them if they want to?

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It's your call, of course, Mark, but as I suggested earlier:

Agreed.

I don't understand why adding something and then removing it after user's feedback in order to improve it.

Anyway, installed, opened, tried a RAW file and closed right away after the temperature and the fan went crazy as usual. Nothing new to me here.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

5 hours ago, verysame said:

Agreed.

I don't understand why adding something and then removing it after user's feedback in order to improve it.

Anyway, installed, opened, tried a RAW file and closed right away after the temperature and the fan went crazy as usual. Nothing new to me here.

It's something that was added, and disabled, because you can't change it. So my point is, why show something that is uneditable? Especially when it leads to questions and discussions like this.

31 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It's something that was added, and disabled, because you can't change it. So my point is, why show something that is uneditable? Especially when it leads to questions and discussions like this.

And my point is, why not make it editable so that showing it serves a useful purpose?

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Mark, I don't get it.

The whole point is to get feedback from the users... or maybe not?

You devs add something, users test it out, give their feedback, which in this case was how to improve it, and the response is "you can't change it".

Then why add it in the first place? Moreover, under a beta section? (a place meant to test and discuss new features)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

If something gets updated, it is not a new installation. Hence, the configuration is not necessary. Just look at it like on an update to your browser or your office package. You can't place it on each update into a new folder. If there were no disabled fields, the desire to change something wouldn't be there. So hiding the disabled items is the simplest solution to avoid unintended feature requests, which saves development time to work on real problems. So the beta run had a sense already.

Btw. having these fields active and functional would not be an improvement, because it would make the user think, whether the destination is the same he used last time. He would have to open the windows explorer or the available file dialog to compare the paths, which is an ugly thing. My guess is that 99% would like to replace the existing beta, the others can do a clean install.

Hi,

just upgraded from previous beta to this one, many properties boxes (curves, levels, etc.) end up aligned to the bottom of the screen not, the bottom of available display (ie. under task bar).

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Wow, really?

Now I see why sometimes on this forum there are pages of discussion for even the most basic things.
What surprises me is not the answer that @Asser82 gave, for what I know he is not necessarily a developer, but the fact that @Mark Ingram agrees.

Asser82, your assumption is wrong. "If something gets updated" is not, in this case, a stable release. What you refer to is the update your browser, in its official release, does automatically.
If I, the user, decide to download and install a beta release, these are the options I get during the installation:

01.jpg.2d8b31c05e2a2358f5140212d50ca2b9.jpg

02.jpg.b4d1af74a18f053e9b8c45ba1ffa2580.jpg

03.jpg.44e10ceecdc0cd75fb6f799d9f0a3daf.jpg

It's totally normal for a user to have multiple betas installed in different locations. In fact, I can install multiple betas in separate folders.

Also, as far as focusing on the real problems, that's an old mantra I've heard here so many times. It's actually the core of Affinity: let's add A, B, C, D then let's focus only on C & D because we don't have time nor resources to cover everything. Yeah, makes a lot of sense, especially when there are users who were lured by A and B!

If they don't have the time to play with secondary features, why waste their time in the first place? Or why, to put it more simply, don't we call this for what it is? A mistake, which can happen to anyone. They customized the installer, they didn't expect a user reaction to it (they followed their idea of how this would work), and now here we are.

Oh, before I forget, to answer your "you can't place it into a new folder", guess what? I went through the process of installing the new beta again, but first, I uninstalled the previous beta, which it is something I don't usually do (basically Affinity updates over the latest beta's path) and, to my surprise, my old beta's folder is now empty (Affinity Photo Customer Beta) and a new folder appeared (Photo Customer Beta). Yes, I left the default options the installer comes with untouched but gives you a glimpse of consistency. Quite a convoluted experience for something so basic.

Andrew
-

• Staff

Verysame, all our previous beta installers have uninstalled the last beta (without any option not to)  so your perfectly reasonable suggestion that you would be able to install them side by side if that dialog were simply enabled is not correct.

However it's always been like that with only one customer beta "installed". We are only interested in reported issues in (a) the latest purchase version and (b) the newest beta. So to discourage mistakes in reporting against earlier betas, a new beta installer will uninstall previous ones.

If you make a copy of the whole beta install folder before updating with the new installer, you can compare the new beta version with earlier ones (as we often do at Serif), but only one is actually "installed". 

There is no disrespect meant in these replies.  Mark was agreeing with Asser82 because he has described the situation as it is and why showing the disabled dialogue could confuse some.

Each build of the customer beta is an 'update' to all previous betas and the automatic uninstall is currently unavoidable and by design.

I do agree that the installation would be better than it is right now if it hid these options as that is clearly less confusing. However, irrespective of whether the last beta is uninstalled, Alfred is asking for the option to choose where the upgrade is to be put. Which we have not allowed for but I also agree would be better than it is now too, and in my opinion is preferable to hiding them. But if you think of this as a patch you would not expect to be able to change the location as the files are updated, and when this customer beta is installed over any earlier customer beta, that is in effect what it is, a (very big) patch. So both positions have their own merits, one with simplicity and the other with more choice. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd