You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

app interface in MacOS issue

Just installed Affinity Photo v1.6.7 with my MacBook Air. When I click the "close" button, the app seems to stay at the dock (with a small dot under the icon). but I can not bring back the app interface by clicking the app icon at the dock, it only brings up the menu bar on the top. Is this normal? I tried with other apps and all work fine: clicking the app icon at the dock will bring back the app interface if you don't completely end/retreat the app. I've attached a pic...

pic.png

Works the same on my Mac. To get the interface to appear if you have closed the main window, you either have to open an existing file or create a new one. It is not how Mac apps usually work, so what I have done to keep the interface available is to get into the habit of just hiding the app (CMD+H) instead of clicking the close button on the main window. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

File > Close will close the document not the app, CMD+Q quits the app all together, as R C-R says CMD+H hides the app and it will show as a faded icon in the Dock.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I disagree that that how Mac works.  When you see the dot under the icon in the dock, like with other open Apps. it means the App is open, but if you close the app, dot goes away.  You need to do Affinity Photo > Quit (last option) or Cmd Q

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

I disagree that that how Mac works.  When you see the dot under the icon in the dock, like with other open Apps. it means the App is open, but if you close the app, dot goes away.  You need to do Affinity Photo > Quit (last option) or Cmd Q

The dot is optional in recent macOS versions: System Preferences > Dock > Show indicators for open applications determines if it shows or not. However, closing an Affinity app (& many other Mac apps) is not the same as quitting it. If the dot indicator is enabled in System Preferences > Dock, it will still show as long as the app is open, even if none of its windows are open or the app is hidden.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

The dot is optional in recent macOS versions: System Preferences > Dock > Show indicators for open applications determines if it shows or not. However, closing an Affinity app (& many other Mac) apps) is not the same as quitting it. If the dot indicator is enabled in System Preferences > Dock, it will still show as long as the app is open, even if none of its windows are open.

There's no closing an app command in Mac.  It's quitting an app.  You close a document and quit an app.  Sorry to have misused "closed".  I thought it was clear by pointing to Affinity > Quit and Cmd Q. 

Thanks for the explanation on the dot.  I haven't touched my dock system preferences since 2008.  Didn't know that is now option.  I have it set to show open applications.  I tend to stick to old habits.

6 minutes ago, Silvia said:

There's no closing an app command in Mac.  It's quitting an app.  You close a document and quit an app.

Some apps, typically ones that allow only a single window or document, quit automatically on closing. A few apps (for example Graphic Converter) have a preference setting that allows users to choose between automatically quitting when the last document window is closed or remaining open, typically with UI windows/panels still visible. The latter would be the normal expected behavior for the Affinity apps (the toolbars, Studio, etc. remain visible) but they don't do that -- there is a difference between clicking the red close button in the main document window & typing CMD+W or choosing Close from the file menu.

There are (or at least were in some previous versions) some other oddities in how the window 'traffic light' icons behave -- for some of the filter or adjustment windows clicking the yellow 'hide' button sends (or at least once sent) the window into oblivion because the Windows menu doesn't include those windows as it should, so the only way to get them back is/was to quit the app & launch it again.

Affinity Photo 

• 6 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 10:25 PM, kinguy said:

Just installed Affinity Photo v1.6.7 with my MacBook Air. When I click the "close" button, the app seems to stay at the dock (with a small dot under the icon). but I can not bring back the app interface by clicking the app icon at the dock, it only brings up the menu bar on the top. Is this normal? I tried with other apps and all work fine: clicking the app icon at the dock will bring back the app interface if you don't completely end/retreat the app. I've attached a pic...

pic.png

yes i also want to know this coz Am facing the same problem. Hope anyone here can help me too. Thanks in advance. Regards,

If the app won't "QUIT" by using the ⌘+Q key combo or the option in File > ... If the app has hung or just won't quit you can force close it either by clicking or right clicking on the icon in the dock and it will probably say Force Quit or Go to the Apple Logo (Top Left of the screen,) Click on it and choose Force Quit... (Alt+Cmd+ESC)

If that doesn't work Use Activity Monitor.

• Use Spotlight (⌘+Spacebar) type: Act
  • Spotlight should list Activity Monitor.app unless you have other apps that start with act in which case continue to type until activity monitor.app is listed and press Enter ↩︎
  • From Activity Monitors window type: aff in the search input (Top right of the Activity Monitor window) this shortlists any apps or processes starting with "aff"
  • Select Affinity Photo and click the grey X icon to force a quit process
    •  1070353042_ScreenShot.png.fafc618d26e317caf1f96a8d4902fe2f.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, jaosnsmithw said:

yes i also want to know this coz Am facing the same problem. Hope anyone here can help me too. Thanks in advance. Regards,

Press ⌘+N to create a New Document or Press ⌘+O to open an existing document. If you have a document open and you cannot see it it will likely be either closed or minimised to the dock (look to the far right of the dock and to the left of the Trash Can)
5267464_ScreenShot1.png.ef7486a53c741f63f6a110449273df11.png