You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert coloured vector to greyscale

The black & white layer adjustments seem to convert a vector to an image when making a PDF. I'd like to see an easy way to convert a coloured vector to greyscale & keep as a vector. At the moment I have to copy & paste into Illustrator, make the conversion there, copy & paste back. If this can be done easier I'd love to know how.

Edited by MickRose
Ckearer title

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• Staff

Hi MickRose,

Click the More button on the Export dialog and change the Colour Space dropdown to Gray (also pick an apropriate Profile).

Alternatively go to Document Setup..., Colour tab and change the Colour Format dropdown to Grey8/16 to change the colour space of the document itself and export to PDF.

I'm sure it will. Learning about AD is an ongoing process. I just wish there was a comprehensive manual. These used to exist before the internet took over. Now software designers seem to supply a few video tutorials and a not-too-friendly help file and not much else.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

11 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Now software designers seem to supply a few video tutorials and a not-too-friendly help file and not much else.

In the case of the Affinity apps there are more than just a few official video tutorials as well as many unofficial ones, and although the Help files aren’t perfect I find them mostly quite friendly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 27/04/2018 at 9:03 AM, MickRose said:

I'm sure it will. Learning about AD is an ongoing process. I just wish there was a comprehensive manual. These used to exist before the internet took over. Now software designers seem to supply a few video tutorials and a not-too-friendly help file and not much else.

Sometimes, it's because some knowledge is not about the sofware but about generic features like color profiles.

Same things with PDF export options. Does Affinity need to add the whole PDF x-1a:2003 to 1.7 documentation in the help file, or do people need to learn more about exporting to PDF/using color profiles, etc. ?

i.e. To manage color profiles, I had to learn from specific web sites that explain such things, it wasn't provided (no more than how to select a profile) in the CC suite help. But there's a little bit of information in their documentation.

Creating documentation/how-to/courses is difficult, sometimes you only need to explain where and how to modify settings, sometimes you need to do a complete course explaining more than the feature because people don't have enought knowledge.

Sometimes, knowing tricks is enougth, but it's better to know why we do this or that :)