You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

I believe the Unlinked Text frame is because both text tools are technically the same, one being constrained within a box(frame text tool), probably with a tag in the code, while the other one is not. If this applies to the symbols, then the "tag being off" for the artistic text would be the Unlinked attribute. The symbol might look for all the attributes, and if any are "disabled" - Artistic text, it will display the unlinked "error". 

23 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

I believe the Unlinked Text frame is because both text tools are technically the same, one being constrained within a box(frame text tool), probably with a tag in the code, while the other one is not. If this applies to the symbols, then the "tag being off" for the artistic text would be the Unlinked attribute. The symbol might look for all the attributes, and if any are "disabled" - Artistic text, it will display the unlinked "error". 

But that does not explain why for Frame text in a symbol there is no popup advisory saying it has an Unlinked Text frame or a dashed line indicating that it does. Both Art & Frame text should be the same, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I believe it's more to do in the "back end code" and how the software treats the text. The Frame text will have a solid line as it's fully synced. The artistic text I believe it's just a "Text frame with a frame=disabled tag( back-end), therefore the dashed line and the "unlinked attribute: Frame text " (front end). It's just a thought. Will log this as an improvement with our devs in the meantime. 

• 11 months later...
  • Staff
9 hours ago, Cobalt said:

This is an old thread, but I am having an issue that symbols become un-synced (dashed line) but I never touch the sync button. Something to do with assigning global colors.

I suggest you start a new thread in the relevant section (Release or beta) :)

• 5 months later...

I know this topic is from last year but I have a solution and what causes desync of symbols for me.
First, what most commonly causes desync of symbols for me is when I change the DPI of the file and resize it. Specifically this usually causes any line settings such as thickness, style, or otherwise to lose sync.

What I've found that fixes this for me is I make the changes I'd like to propagate across the symbols to the element that's not syncing then I duplicate that element and delete the original. The duplicate gets propagated across all the symbols and includes your changes and will continue to sync from that point forward. So any changes you make it to the object will now sync across all the symbols.

I thought I'd post a reply in case it could help someone. I know I've spent hours trying to figure out a fix.

• Staff

On 10/9/2019 at 6:56 PM, Alixnight said:

First, what most commonly causes desync of symbols for me is when I change the DPI of the file and resize it. Specifically this usually causes any line settings such as thickness, style, or otherwise to lose sync.

Hi @Alixnight,

Welcome to the forums. 

Any steps to replicate this?

8 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Alixnight,

Welcome to the forums. 

Any steps to replicate this?

@GabrielMThanks for the reply. All I have to do is change the DPI of the file in the documents setting panel and the line formatting in my symbols bracks.

I included a test file with my symbol in it so you can try out what I did. I've also included a file with the symbols already broken.

test_symbols.afdesign

test_symbols_broken.afdesign

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. This happens on Windows and iOS.

Edited by Alixnight

• 2 weeks later...