DarkClown

[By Design] Illustrator import bug

When importing an AI (Adobe Illustrator) file the guides are excluded from the import. This is pretty bad since many (printing) companies supply AI formated templates that only consists of guides, artboards and empty layers - none of that is imported by AD ... are there plans to improve that?

Cheers, Timo

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher latest final & beta
http://www.timobierbaum.com

AD can only read the PDF stream in an AI file. Presumably the guides are an internal Illy thing which isn’t included in the PDF.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.3.180 • Designer for iPad 1.8.3.2 • iPadOS 13.5.1 (iPad Air 2)

Just now, DarkClown said:

Sounds reasonable - but doesn't change the problem ;)

I agree that there’s a problem, Timo! I just don’t think it’s a bug as such. :)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.3.180 • Designer for iPad 1.8.3.2 • iPadOS 13.5.1 (iPad Air 2)

OK, ok ... I guess there's always a fine line between a bug and a missing feature ... can someone please shift this topic to the "feature request" area :-)

iCore i7-3770, 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher latest final & beta
http://www.timobierbaum.com

I suspect this is one of those “Can’t fix, won’t fix” issues (unless those nice people at Adobe decide to publish the specs of the Illustrator file format, which seems rather unlikely).

Alfred online2long.gif

Hi Timo

AI file format is propriety only Adobe can use the full spectrum of the format. Unlike PSD it is AI is not very well documented for others to access. There are simply parts of the format that we, or anyone else, will not be able to read unless Adobe choose to release the documentation for it. It's pretty much out of our hands

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com