You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop and Rotate in Develop Persona

I'm pretty new to Affinity Photo, so maybe it's just me, but I can't make sense of crop and rotate in Develop.  I loaded a raw image, wanted to rotate it 90º counter clockwise (from horizontal to vertical orientation) and crop it a bit.  When rotating (by dragging outside the crop rectangle), it crops the image to the original orientation (cuts off top and bottom), leaving blank space on either side.  I'm trying to find a video on YouTube that answers this but so far no answer.

Thanks,

Bart

The rotate button is for rotating the Crop Tools Grid not to rotate the image.

You need to Cancel whatever you are doing in Develop Persona and it should automatically put you in Pixel Persona, now you can use the Transform Panel to rotate the Image to your desired angle i.e. 90º AntiClockwise. Remember to check if the pixel layer is locked, if it is unlock it

5ae025c2c0429_ScreenShot2018-04-25at07_49_38.png.d8c7cef39fad666b62d1b3af8e92660e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Seems there is no rotate tool in Development module as developers though photo metadata always tells how to orient image. That is not the case and sometimes landscape/portrait tick is ignored. I guess you are supposed to develop your RAW sideways and rotate it after development in normal Photo persona.

As I recall this was listed as a bug in Develop for iPad which displays same behaviour. Are you saying on desktop it is meant to do that (cut off your pic if you rotate before develo)?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

31 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Seems there is no rotate tool in Development module 

It's there, under "View".  If you rotate the image first the crop tool aligns itself to the rotated image.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff

Hi Bart, 

Welcome to the forums. 

You can rotate the image in Develop Photo Persona by going to Document>Rotate - bottom of the list- . 

The "rotate" option under view is just for viewing the image while in Affinity. When you export it will not remember the rotation. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks for the heads up re rotation in Develop Persona, I'd looked at the View menu and didn't see those options, too early in the morning and not enough Yorkshire Tea.

This is just a bit odd, I don't get this at all, why would you want to rotate an image by 15º

5ae063c06bd7e_ScreenShot2018-04-25at12_13_06.png.5e3d751bc177d54c130779c4fb68c64a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, GabrielM said:

You can rotate the image in Develop Persona by going to Document>Rotate - bottom of the list- . 

If you mean the Document menu, I do not seem to have that menu in the Develop Persona, just the ones shown in the screenshot above @firstdefence included in his post.

42 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

This is just a bit odd, I don't get this at all, why would you want to rotate an image by 15º

Just guessing but it might be useful if the camera was not level when the shot was made? I assume that on the Mac version, you could also use the trackpad option to rotate the view to an arbitrary angle, which would be more useful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Just guessing but it might be useful if the camera was not level when the shot was made? I assume that on the Mac version, you could also use the trackpad option to rotate the view to an arbitrary angle, which would be more useful.

There's a straighten option in Develop's crop tool, so I think the mystery's still unsolved 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

I'll dig my trackpad out and see what happens, I just can't work out why when you click rotate left or right it moves it in 15º increments.

• Staff

The Rotate commands in the View menu are for rotating the view, not the document itself. They are there to facilitate working with pen/tablets where you may want to rotate the view to help/facilitate drawing with a pen , like you do when you draw on a real page thus the 15º increments. There's also an option in the settings to use trackpad gestures to do the same but in this case to any (arbitrary) angle.

Regarding the original question, there was two buttons on the main toolbar in Develop Persona to rotate the document but apparently they were removed due to some issue (I'm looking on our logs for some reference to this).

In the Develop Persona, in the Lens panel you can rotate and scale the image at the same time.

dev.jpg.cf23f0c08fc8c43637ef5758665bc758.jpg

By scaling the image inside the document window, you effectively crop it. Although it's only really useful to get rid of the missing corners (caused by rotation)  as there is no X - Y positioning. You can of course, use the Lens panel to rotate the image and then crop it using the crop tool but it is destructive. You can't unclip it in the Photo Persona afterwards.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

There's a straighten option in Develop's crop tool, so I think the mystery's still unsolved 

But like @toltec mentioned for the Lens panel, this straighten option destructively crops out the edges that are rotated out of the document's dimensions, & it leaves empty areas as well. Rotating the view is not destructive.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7