You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I rarely use color palette in my documents, unless I need Pantone.

How apps usually manage colors swatches, and especially global swatches between documents ? Don't we lack a default color palette for each document (more than "recent used colors"), to show at least global colors used in the current document ?

When I copy-paste from another document, shouldn't AD ask to create swatches to the current color palette or ask to add a color palette with (global) swatches ?

I'm not sure about this, since it would be more complicated because of color profiles, but I would like some advices.

For example:
I just re-drew a logo in a separate file, and created a document color palette (global colors) since it use 15+ colors. I copied-pasted it in another document, and I was disapointed when the swatches didn't appeared in this document. Of course I can export-import the palette, but if I had a palette for this document, I would have to switch palettes to get the logo's colors or the ducument's colors. 

There are two main types of Palette. 

Application palette, which is available to every Affinity application on the computer.

Document palette, which is stored in the document and will be transferred inside the document, even to a different computer.

Did you create your palette as a document or application palette?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I'm aware of this, but there're limitations to document's palettes.

Document palette are usefull for specific documents, but it would be usefull too, to be able to add them while copying-pasting from another document (the same way they appear in others apps when you do this), perhaps with a prompt : "Do you want to add… ?" or in a different part of the current document palette ?

Since creating a palette from current document create more colours than used in the shapes (only using plain fill in those shapes), and since we can't add or merge document's palettes.

i.e. if I used a Pantone in another document, and copy-paste the shape using this color in another document, the only way to know it's a Pantone color is to add the color to the current document palette or have the same palette selected (to be able to see the selected swatch).

If there're only few new colors, that's not difficult to add them, but if there are 20, it begin to be annoying to add them one at a time.

• 1 year later...

I am adding my related question to this older thread. I have used Affinity Designer (AD-Mac Desktop) for years a could not work without it. I know how the Color and Swatches palette work, however, I have consistently run into the following problems and have not found any forum comments nor videos that address them. BTW, I agree with the above, i.e., that making a color palette from the colors in a doc is very nice but problematic since the palette produces has far to many colors, and the option of limiting the number of colors is useful but the result is not always what I need - but that is a separate issue. Here are  my problem. 

I have 40-50 specific colors that I always used on a detailed geology map I created. They are specifically name for various types of rock, soils and other items on the map. I save these colors in an AD color palette such as "AD-GB Colors-200109.afpalette." This allows me to update to palette with a new date, if necessary. I have done this trying all three options (Application, Document and System), understanding what the difference between these options are.

Problem 1: From what I understand, the above document option means that the above named palette should appear after I close the doc and open it again. However, this palette does not appear as the one I previously used for the doc, (the name that come up just below the swatch colors. I must pull down this menu and find the palette that I want. Since a person is working with the same doc and the same palette as before, why must the user go and and find the palette every time the doc is opened? To me, this appears to be the way it should work.

Problem 2: Currently, after importing the above named palette (which was exported as both an application and a document palette), and then importing it, the name above does not appear for importing, either as an application or a document palette. The various options shown in the pull down menu (below the swatch colors) are older palettes, according to how I previously exported them (either as an application or a document palette).

Sorry to be so verbose but I wanted to be clear.

13 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

Problem 2: Currently, after importing the above named palette (which was exported as both an application and a document palette), and then importing it, the name above does not appear for importing, either as an application or a document palette.

An application palette is stored in the app. A document palette is stored in the document itself. Thus, you cannot "export" a document palette as such.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7