You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Close all photos?

• Staff

Hi Exploremoar,

Welcome to the forums :) 

There is no way to properly do this I'd imagine we didn't add a close all button to prevent people accidentally loosing work however if you go to File > Exit it should ask you to close each file one by one :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 minute ago, Callum said:

I'd imagine we didn't add a close all button to prevent people accidentally losing work

Some applications deal with this by displaying a dialog with a list of all currently unsaved files, allowing the user to deselect any files whose changes are to be discarded.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Exploremoar,

Welcome to the forums :) 

There is no way to properly do this I'd imagine we didn't add a close all button to prevent people accidentally loosing work however if you go to File > Exit it should ask you to close each file one by one :)

Thanks

C

So I am using affinity for ipad pro, there is no file menu (or so I believe)

The only 'current' way to close 100's of Files from Project/Welcome screen quickly is to uninstall the app. :o Not ideal Serif!

If you choose to do this, remember any files not saved elsewhere (i.e. stored only in apps working area) will be lost forever). Drastic but it works.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

The only 'current' way to close 100's of Files from Project/Welcome screen quickly is to uninstall the app. :o Not ideal Serif!

If you choose to do this, remember any files not saved elsewhere (i.e. stored only in apps working area) will be lost forever). Drastic but it works.

Oh man thats crazy haha. I started a thread in the feature request section.

• 2 years later...
On 4/25/2018 at 3:00 AM, exploremoar said:

Oh man thats crazy haha. I started a thread in the feature request section.

Add this to a number of really strange UI and design decisions in Affinity Photo on the iPad. I’m just getting into it and although I like most of it a lot there are a number of things that are actively counter-productive:

• No way to close all open files. You can’t even close all the files in a project together. You have to close every single file, and you have to know whether it needs saving or not because Affinity DOES NOT TELL YOU.
  • Double-tap on the Pencil is simply unusable and has to be switched off to be able to use the Pencil at all. Otherwise you are constantly accidentally committing or undoing actions while you are in the middle of them. And no, I’m NOT double-tapping. Affinity just thinks I am, every couple of seconds, if I change my grip on the Pencil by even the tiniest fraction. Since there are no sensitivity settings for this the only option is to turn it off entirely.
  • The management of ”Closing” and “Saving” images is much too restrictive and poorly implemented. There should at least be the option to save automatically, both when you exit an image and when you close it. And Affinity should KNOW when an image contains unsaved edits — at the moment it doesn’t, or at least it’s not willing to tell you. Even when you actively close an image you don’t have the option to save if it isn’t saved, and it doesn’t tell you whether it is saved or not. So even if it IS saved, you have to exit and save just to be sure, which is a total waste of time. 
  • Once you have closed an Affinity image the only way to open it again is via the Files app. Affinity itself cannot open an Affinity image from its OWN storage sandbox from within Affinity, once it has been closed, if you are saving “on the iPad”. WHAT???
  • Palm rejection is pretty much not there at all and is driving me insane. Even if you switch touch to “gestures only” working with the Pencil is all too often a frustrating nightmare. The developers seem to assume that you are NEVER going to rest your hand on the screen while doing something with the Pencil. When I’m tidying up small details with the Inpainting tool or doing some other fine detail work the screen will frequently jump to a different position or zoom level as soon as I rest the edge of my hand on the screen so that I can use the Pencil accurately. That’s not the way tools like this work in human hands, at least not in mine. You need a hand rest for small, accurate movements with your fingers.
  • The lack of functioning palm rejection gets even worse when I’m trying to adjust spline curves accurately. As soon as the edge of my hand rests on the screen so that I can fine-tune the spline with the Pencil the curve window closes. The only way around this is to use a mouse or trackpad as well as the Pencil, which reduces the flexibility of the iPad a lot.
  • No batch export, no export recipes or macros, no user-definable export presets. Affinity doesn’t even remember the settings for the last export you did ten seconds ago. You have to adjust ALL the settings in the ENTIRE export screen for EVERY SINGLE IMAGE. WHAT???
  • No compression option for saved Affinity images. At the moment every image I edit (Fuji RAW 24 and 26 MP images) is around 350MB in iPad local storage, and this would be even worse if I had to upload it all to cloud storage. Even just for ongoing work I’m now really glad I went for overkill and got the 512GB version of the iPad Pro. Holy crap.

All this is becoming more and more grating the more I work with Affinity Photo, and it’s calling the whole experiment of using the iPad Pro for serious photo editing into question. I would happily pay €100 or more for it if it had the features needed for an efficient workflow and comfortable editing. At the moment it’s a strange mixture: A lot of pro class features that work well, but so much is still missing that it’s just too restrictive a lot of the time. Affinity Photo is certainly a lot closer to being a serious app than anything else on the iPad at the moment, but the whole platform is still in a kind of no-man’s land of not-quite-there-yet. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...