You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do i view font info in PSDS?

I am new to affinity and am struggling. How do i view font information in PSDs. A graphic designer is sending me PSDS via my client, i think he creates them in photoshop, the client has assured me  font information is contained in the PSDS. Font size, font family, h1, h2 info, stuff like that. I cannot see how to view this information and am becoming  really frustrated at how difficult it is to access this basic information. Yes, i googled it, and i found this:(it embeded, it is above this message)

It said to 

"With the file closed in Affinity, can you check under Preferences>General and make sure you have 'Import PSD as Text rather than bitmap' ticked and then reopen the file.  You should then be able to select the text and edit it."

so i have done that and someone else says
If you use the move tool (arrowhead symbol) and click on the text itself you'll see the font and text size displayed."

but still for the life of me cannot see  the font family, size and h1 h2 etc. I have attached a screenshot, this is me having clicked the text  and in the right handside panel it just says "no style"

Please someone help me, it is driving me crazy right now. Thanks a lot in advance! 

afin.PNG

Hello, Masti

In Photo :

Go to View > Studio > Text Styles.

A pop-up menu will appear.

Click the little arrow ABOVE the "no Style" text. (see red circle).

The text style & particulars will be shown.

Editing that same text after is has been saved as PSD is another matter. 

I have not been able to find out how to do that.

Screenshot-styles.afphoto

I don't know about H1 tags etc but Font, Size etc can be viewed by turning on Character and Paragraph Panels under View > Studio

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 minutes ago, catlover said:

Editing that same text after is has been saved as PSD is another matter. 

I have not been able to find out how to do that.

Text in the Affinity apps is always rasterized on export to PSD.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, Alfred.

That being the case, what does  -in Prefs- mean:

"Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap" ?

This implies, at least to my mind, that the text would indeed be text

and thus editable when importing a PSD file .

Not so, apparently

No, your interpretation is quite correct. However, that setting only applies to import, not export.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks both.

i was intrigued by the original question,so i did the following:

open a jpg > type text > export as psd > import in AP

that obviously rasterized the file, just as you say.

This means that a psd file must be created in another app, in order to be able to edit the text. That leaves only Photoshop to my knowledge, because in CorelPhoto you also have to “export” to psd, which should cancel out editing the text, just as with Gimp , Pixelmator, etc.etc.

Interesting topic, maybe someone who has all the necessary apps could have a go at it ? I’d love to get to the bottom of this.

thanks all

CL

4 hours ago, catlover said:

Thanks both.

i was intrigued by the original question,so i did the following:

open a jpg > type text > export as psd > import in AP

that obviously rasterized the file, just as you say.

This means that a psd file must be created in another app, in order to be able to edit the text. That leaves only Photoshop to my knowledge, because in CorelPhoto you also have to “export” to psd, which should cancel out editing the text, just as with Gimp , Pixelmator, etc.etc.

Interesting topic, maybe someone who has all the necessary apps could have a go at it ? I’d love to get to the bottom of this.

thanks all

CL

Document: A4 at 300PPI

Pixelmator doesn't do text very well, zooming in to the text pixelates it badly, this example is at 200%

5adfadd93f1bd_ScreenShot2018-04-24at23_20_44.png.8af13015c7131f6c806ffad196369c22.png

Even with a smallish text box (700 words) Pixelmator wants to export to a PSD at 69MB

The same sized document saved from Photoshop CC is 6.8MB

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

44 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Pixelmator doesn't do text very well

You’re not kidding. I couldn’t truthfully claim to sink under the weight of the splendour of that particular vision! ;)

Alfred spacer.png