You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Designer (gradient in stroke)

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for me as well! I have done a nifty project in Ai that used a trick combining this feature with a clipping mask in order to make a more controlled, spiralling colour blend (it was a monogram of two extra bold characters, and I wanted their fills to also blend at their junction, while following their general stroke direction)… It's a killer feature of Ai CS6, indeed.

And the great gradient support in Designer has left me salivating for more… ;) While I'm at it, it is *so good* that it was the only feature, for now, that I've used in a production environment (in my day job, no less). I had to do this project with a gradient background, assembled in Photoshop, and I actually made it in bitmap form, exported directly from Designer.

Seriously, it is *that* much better than Adobe's… I will rehash this year-old Photoshop.com forum topic on gradients, which I linked to earlier in these forums, as it goes to show just how out-of-touch (some would even say downright nasty and borderline autistic!) Adobe devs are with their most technically-minded users: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshops_gradient_editor_needs_an_overhaul

• 1 month later...

+1 for gradients that can be perpendicular to a path.  

I'm currently using gradients to add shadows and highlights to objects to make them look 3d.

My next task is to add gradients around the edges of a rounded rectangle, to give the impression it is a cube with rounded over edges.

My current plan is to use a quarter of a radial gradient at each corner and linear gradients in between, so it going to be quite fiddly, and not so easy to adjust afterwards.  It might be a 1 click task with gradients that are perpendicular to paths.

In addition, depending on how it might be implemented it could help with mirrored gradients, e.g. a gradient you might use to draw a cylinder, AFAICT at the moment I need to mirror the gradient manually to get both sides exactly the same.

How about a bitmap fill while we're at it?

Busenitz,

I'm not sure if this is the same as you're asking for but if you use the gradient tool and then go to the context menu and click on "type" you have the choice of using a bitmap as the fill. Or are you talking about something different?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi michal78,

Yes, we do consider all suggestions. As you can imagine there's a long list of requested features/suggestions from users and staff, and being a small team it's difficult to consider/implement all of them as quickly as most users are probably expecting. The dev team also has it's own roadmap planned, so certain features/requests may only appear after quite some time, while others may be implemented sooner than expected depending on their priorities, on what they are working on, if the features are tied or not to others that may be revamped/revised later etc.

Bear with us. I know some time have passed since you have suggested this feature but we are working as fast as we possibly can to address user's feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/22/2015 at 9:23 AM, MEB said:

Hello michal78,

There's already some options to apply a gradient to a stroke

That's what I'm looking to accomplish, but the answer is not apparent. I can use layer effects outline, but that affects all children as well, which is not what I want. Suggestions appreciated.

598c857b9ba43_Dgradsurtrait.thumb.png.2d0f2c3577d8a69d98037808bf99392f.pngHi,

I do not know if I understood the question, but to get a gradient across the line, why not create a brush with the gradient?

Sorry if I answer next to the question.

• Staff

It all depends on the type of gradient you want. For gradients across the line or along it as in the @owenr example you have to use a brush with a gradient (or alternatively in the case of the gradient across the line you can also use an Outline FX with the Fill style set to Contour in place of the stroke); for regular gradients covering the whole stroke disregarding its direction the gradient stroke fill will do it.