You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not quite sure if I can explain this in a way that makes much sense so I'll let the screenshots do more of the talking; what I'm trying to do is use the "subtract" function to create and effect on the "Neon Dreams" piece similar to that of the other screenshot, with the transparent lines, I don't want to make it too complicated so I hope the screenshots help make everything make sense.

I know what I have to do but it seems that I can't because I'm trying to subtract an existing compound?

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Dylan

Capture.PNG

saddsa.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

3 minutes ago, Dylan SJ Perez said:

I know what I have to do but it seems that I can't because I'm trying to subtract an existing compound?

The Layers panel in your first screenshot shows that you have a Group rather than a Compound object. Try ungrouping the group and then doing a Boolean ‘Add’ to create a single Curves object for use in your ‘Subtract’ operation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The Layers panel in your first screenshot shows that you have a Group rather than a Compound object. Try ungrouping the group and then doing a Boolean ‘Add’ to create a single Curves object for use in your ‘Subtract’ operation.

Your suggestion worked, though, highlighting the yellow rectangles and just the logo will give me the desired effect as seen in the first and second screenshot.

Whilst I think this looks good I'd also like to see what it looks like if I do the logo AND the background gray triangle behind, problem is that the "add" function only flattens the two shapes, in the sense that it merges them into a single colour, I may have missed something that you said.

Cheers,

Dylan

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

7 minutes ago, Dylan SJ Perez said:

Whilst I think this looks good I'd also like to see what it looks like if I do the logo AND the background gray triangle behind, problem is that the "add" function only flattens the two shapes, in the sense that it merges them into a single colour, I may have missed something that you said.

I don’t think you’ve missed anything, Dylan, unless I’m missing something too! The ‘Add’ function gives you a single object whose fill is determined by one of the original objects (which I think is the bottom one in the stack). You can always apply a gradient fill to the resultant object if need be.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think you’ve missed anything, Dylan, unless I’m missing something too! The ‘Add’ function gives you a single object whose fill is determined by one of the original objects (which I think is the bottom one in the stack). You can always apply a gradient fill to the resultant object if need be.

I wouldn't really be looking for a gradient, rather for the logo to be contrasted to the rear triangle, so if it flattens the shapes it'd be a problem for me, I have yet to try this but maybe I can do them separately and then group them to hide the mess if that makes sense. The way it looks now is growing on me, it may look too "cluttered" if I use a compound function on both shapes.

Anyways, I'll give my idea a shot and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help and quick replies as always,

Dylan

EDIT: So the good news is my idea worked, the semi-bad news is that my suspicions were confirmed and it looks absolutely vile (see the screenshot) - I'll keep it how it was, thanks!

Capture.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez