You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Managment Options

I'm wondering if anyone has written anything about the different options for saving and storing Affinity Photo files for iPad? It seems there is a bit of confusion on the topic. I know I've been a bit confused by it but I don't see a whole lot posted here. Perhaps I'm the only one? I'm exploring this a bit because by chance today I was poking around the Settings app and took a look at my iPad's storage and saw that Affinity Photo was using up 22GB! I've got quite a few projects but expected it to be half of that or less. Now, I've got plenty of storage but for anyone that has less or for folks that might want to more easily back-up to a local Mac or whatever,  using Files app storage might be better. So I started poking around. 

As I understand it, by default files are stored within Affinity Photo on the iPad. A sort of hidden storage area which shows up in the documents browser within Affinity Photo. It's not possible to see file sizes from this location. If I choose to save (from the corner widget of the document icon in the document browser) the file is then saved into "On my iPad" in the "Photo" folder on iPad and I can open it up from the Files app. The nice thing about this is I can see the file size and easily copy it to other places with no issues.  Also, for someone with lots of projects and clients, the built in Photos document browser can get pretty cumbersome. By moving my projects to Files app I can nest folders as needed, add tags, etc. If there comes a time when I need to transfer/copy many files or a whole folder I can do that simply via drag and drop. 

What I'm getting at is that there seem to be an opportunity here to offer an app preference for an "On my iPad" Files app based storage as a default rather than the built in storage. For those of us coming from the Mac with lots of projects this might be preferable. Or, if not offered as a possible app preference for default storage/saving location it might be beneficial to highlight it and clarify in documentation. I'm aware that there is a section on saving and storage but it seems a bit too minimal.

I'm likely going to turn this into a blog post with a bit more detail and will post a link back here if there is interest.

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

13 hours ago, Denny said:

What I'm getting at is that there seem to be an opportunity here to offer an app preference for an "On my iPad" Files app based storage as a default rather than the built in storage.

Local Storage on IPad setting saves a copy of the file to a Photos folder in the Files app. Another 'working' copy is retained in the Affinity Photo hidden folder. If you uninstall AP you lose the copies in the Affinity hidden folder but retain the saved copies in the Files 'Photos' folder.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi Denny,

We appreciate your detailed interest and I'll move this thread to our features request section so that our devs are aware of the concerns and possible solutions!
Perhaps @James Ritson could look into the documentation regarding saving and make any changes where necessary, as we will always do our best to make our app as user friendly as possible :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)