You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer -> After effects vectors

The people of School of motion are a big fan of affinity and today they posted this very detailed and wonderful tutorial on how to export from Affinity Designer® to Adobe® After Effects@. 

It may seem a little bit cumbersome, but I think it's worth it...specially if you try to avoid illustrator. The link: https://www.schoolofmotion.com/blog/save-affinity-designer-vector-files-after-effects

Have a nice one!

B.

Trust me, is not worth it.

It's barely acceptable if you are dealing with some vector to a minimal degree, but in a production situation that's just not an option.

Plus, converting to vector in AE?? No, thanks, I only use that if I don't have other options, not to mention the hassle to go through all the layers that need to be converted.

The only other alternative is using native vector files exported from AD.

I tried this route here:

and here:

Not an option either.

So, long story short, AD to AE is not doable when it comes to a serious production (i.e., working in a team or individual work that relies on many vector files).

It only works if you really have a lot of time/patience (and I would add money).

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a wonderful trick for Apple motion (might work for after as well...thing is Motion is almost instantaneous). I do my designs in Affinity designer and then save everything as PSD. Make sure the file is RGB and import in apple motion as layers. The cool thing is that if you modify the PSD in any way...as long as you don't add EXTRA layers...the file with all the animation will be fully editable. Really useful if you do social media graphics that change things like dates.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a way to export shapes for Apple motion. I know, it's not After effects. But for all Motion people on a Mac, this might be a possible way. Found this on Youtube. Two little programms needed, links can be found in the description of the video.

@serif 
If you still listen and find this topic at least not too boring, PixelmatorPro just released a Motion file export option. I'd love to see that too - even I have the solution mentioned above running for now. At least on the Mac it's a good idea to have Affinity and Motion/FCPX side by side.

Latest update for PixelmatorPro adds Motion support: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/updates/
(I'm not using it and not planning, but I like this new option - and some of their AI functions)

1 hour ago, thadeusz said:

@serif 
If you still listen and find this topic at least not too boring, PixelmatorPro just released a Motion file export option. I'd love to see that too - even I have the solution mentioned above running for now. At least on the Mac it's a good idea to have Affinity and Motion/FCPX side by side.

Latest update for PixelmatorPro adds Motion support: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/updates/
(I'm not using it and not planning, but I like this new option - and some of their AI functions)

I’ll be buying pixelmator just for this function. Its been long awaited and looks excellent. I use both Motion and AE and you really need to stick with Illustrator when using AE. They integrate really well. Hopefully pixelmator may give us similar integration with Motion. 

Thanks for sharing - Mark does a great job, as always. That looks indeed promising. And yes, it's not the worst idea to have PixelmatorPro as an export plugin for now.
But for near future I think Serif should consider some smart decisions to make it more easy to use Affinity apps in certain workflows.