You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatic lens correction not sufficient, manual choice desired

Hello,

in Affinity Photo there is an automatic lens correction developing raw files. But I am using a lens converter (Commlite and Sigma MC-11) to use Canon lenses with my Alpha A7RII. In this case there is no entry whithin the exif data that can be interprated automatically. In Photoshop and ACR I am able to select the special lens profile manually and thus the raw file will be corrected as desired.

Is there any possibility in Affinity Photo to correct my lenses with an profile without an automatical manner? If not, this will be an required feature.

Thx, Thomas

I too think the user should be able to choose if lens corrections on an image should be automatic, based on EXIF data, or instead be specified by the user.

Mirrorless cameras such as the Sony a7 series cameras are a case in point. There are several electronic adapters that allow non-Sony lenses to use many of the camera's electronic functions. One way this is done (e.g. Metabones adapter) is the adapter identifies the lens in use as an equivalent Sony lens. For example, when a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is attached via the Metabones adapter, the RAW file EXIF data records the lens as Sony's "24-70mm F2.8 G SSM II". Rather than go through the process of changing data in the proprietary RAW file with the risks of corrupting the file, the user should be able to select the correct lens profile.

The short flange to sensor distance in mirrorless cameras also allows use of numerous purely mechanical lenses, some "vintage", some new. For such lenses there is no EXIF data recorded. Once again, the user should be empowered to be able to select the correct lens profile and not be forced to undertake the risk of editing a proprietary RAW file format.

Finally, competing RAW processing software allows users to select the correct lens profile. Adobe Carmera RAW allows this. Adobe Lightroom allows this. Capture One allows it (if a profile is available). ON1 Photo RAW 2018 allows it. Affinity Photo needs to keep up with the competition.

I made a similar request feature request here some time ago LINK.