You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colourisation - Part2

Gabe

Apart from the background being grey between the subjects’ heads and purplish elsewhere, it could have been a colour photo right from the start. Great job, Gabe! thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Great job. 

What am I seeing with the purple spot under the right hand? I just can't place it

Thanks

2018-04-23_11-03-43.png

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

@GabrielM

This is one image that would benefit greatly by supplying the original source image as I do not think people realise just what magic you have done here and I suspect you are not long for the World of Affinity and Nottingham.

There are several pensioners out there with their black and white photo albums that need your skills in recreating their technicolor memories of the way things were back then.

Go forth and colourise, your talents are wasted here

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

2018-04-23_14-00-36.png

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

It's not the same material, the texture is different

It is part of the wall behind the man

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It is part of the wall behind the man

Yes, that’s what I meant by my reference to

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

the background being grey between the subjects’ heads and purplish elsewhere

Alfred spacer.png

58 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It's not the same material, the texture is different

It is part of the wall behind the man

Look again. The only way that could be the wall is if he had a hole through him. It is part of the uniform ... the lapel to be exact which is bent giving the illusion of a separate color. The purple part is the inside of the sleeve. Please look closely at the black and white version. Detach and ZOOM IN.

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

9 minutes ago, Rick G said:

The only way that could be the wall is if he had a hole through him.

But he does have a hole through him, Rick! Well, not literally a hole, of course, but he’s bent forward and there’s a gap between his arm and his torso. As Carl has observed, the texture is different: it’s flat, like the rest of the wall, but the upper two thirds of the wall is grey and there are only two regions (that one and another on the extreme left) which are purple.

Alfred spacer.png

2018-04-23_15-48-42.png

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Also check the collar for the angle of the cuts which are replicated (the 90°+ one on the left side of the purple area

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

10 hours ago, Rick G said:

Look again. The only way that could be the wall is if he had a hole through him. It is part of the uniform ... the lapel to be exact which is bent giving the illusion of a separate color. The purple part is the inside of the sleeve. Please look closely at the black and white version. Detach and ZOOM IN.

It's the wall.

Here is a picture of a man in the same uniform showing how the "hole" is created.  (The tight belt creates the "hole")

Also look at the shadow from his hand, it only extends down onto his uniform.  If the "hole" was part of his uniform the shadow would extend onto part of it also

uniform3.jpg

There’s a rather abrupt transition from pink to yellow on the side of his face. He looks like he’s in danger of turning into a Battenberg cake!

Alfred spacer.png

That's a good start. But one layer won't cut it for such a hi-res image. Normally I go for 3 base layers of red, yellow and blue. Here's a good explanation https://wannabeanimator.tumblr.com/post/88311875187 on how to paint on said layers. After that it's just looking at a lot of reference photo's for the details. 

One thing that helped me a great deal was not looking for how-to-colourise tutorials but searching for paint tutorials, esp. oil painting. How they mix colours, and how to create certain effects can be applied to digital as well..