You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delete cropped pixels (option) in Affinity Photo

Hi Affinity,

It would be great to have an option in the crop tool, whether to delete cropped pixels (or not), so you can revert back and change the crop later in the editing process (non-destructive crop tool).

Thanks for a great program.

• Staff

Hi Dechenm

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Crop Tool is non-destructive by default. You can adjust the crop anytime by selecting the Crop Tool again and adjusting the crop frame as needed. To get rid of the cropped parts, right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise....

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot get it to work. 

If I first create a tight crop and click apply, and then at a later stage would like to get the pixels back that was cropped away in the first crop, I cannot get Affinity Photo to recover this.  If I first created a tight crop and apply it, I cannot create a wider crop later. The pixels seems lost.

(However, in Lightroom or Photoshop when I click on the crop tool, I see the original image size, and the applied crop is showing, so I can still choose a wider crop than the first time I cropped.)

Maybe I was a little clearer this time about the issue. 

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Dechen,

When you go back to the Crop Tool again and you adjust the crop area the cropped bits are not visible until you press Apply (unless you have rasterised the layer - in that case there's nothing you can do other than Undo or revert to an earlier snapshot). It's not very intuitive as it is now but i do hope it gets better later (this tool is being rewritten for a future update.)

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Dechen,

When you go back to the Crop Tool again and you adjust the crop area the cropped bits are not visible until you press Apply (unless you have rasterised the layer - in that case there's nothing you can do other than Undo or revert to an earlier snapshot). 

This would suggest that the best way to re-crop is to: 

• Select crop
  • Expand the crop area beyond what you would guess you need (since it is invisible)
  • Press Apply
  • Select crop again and select your final crop.

As @MEB says, it is not very intuitive.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2018 at 10:54 AM, MEB said:

Hi Dechen,

When you go back to the Crop Tool again and you adjust the crop area the cropped bits are not visible until you press Apply (unless you have rasterised the layer - in that case there's nothing you can do other than Undo or revert to an earlier snapshot). It's not very intuitive as it is now but i do hope it gets better later (this tool is being rewritten for a future update.)

How can I get it to work like it did before? I don't want the cropped pixels to show up when I change the canvas size, that's why I cropped them. Even after I rasterize layer, if I expand the canvas then the cropped parts of the image reappear. Very frustrating.

10 hours ago, Buffalo said:

How can I get it to work like it did before? I don't want the cropped pixels to show up when I change the canvas size, that's why I cropped them. Even after I rasterize layer, if I expand the canvas then the cropped parts of the image reappear. Very frustrating.

Rather than using Rasterize, use Rasterize & Trim.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...

Photo is a usability disaster everywhere I look. It is crazy. Even rudimentary features are incredibly time-consuming and illogical to use.

Simply add an option like in Adobe Photoshop, so anyone knowing he/she actually wants to perform a destructive crop can do it on the spot:

image.png.da87499bedc0d0c63b8a7e15473cc74d.png

Who would immediately think "I will need to rasterize my bitmap photo and trim it to get rid of the area I never wanted Photo to keep anyway" ?

Finally the same confused customer can get the option to resize to "200,3 pixels" ... "Que?"

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe how much I've wasted trying to destructively crop 40 layers of images. 

I need to export cropped section as individual files.

And currently I am doing that via Export Persona > Slices

There is no way to Rasterize and Trim multiple layers

There is no way to destructively crop the image.

My only option is to individually Rasterize and Trim each (40+) layers.

Why? 

I mean I know I can't complain at the price bout the suite but just why?

Why do you make it so unintuitive and difficult to use?

On 4/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, MEB said:

The Crop Tool is non-destructive by default. 

This isn't particularly helpful. Because there no way to make non destructive crops in the way people understand non-destructive editing from programs like Lightroom, Capture One etc..

It took a couple of reads of the manual and watching tutorials to appreciate that the way photos are opened in Photo is unlike any other pixel image editing program. In that the image needs conversion to a pixel layer to actually crop the image and make the cropped off area invisible.
There's a lot to like about Photo, but there have been a few development choices that have made certain aspects of it's use unintuitive and more complex than most users expect. The crop tool is one aspect, the gradient tool is another and needing to export rather than save as... further confuses new users.