You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

58 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Hopefully, you & anybody else trying this will do so in a way that won't violate any licensing terms

Indeed - I will be trying it on my own personal machine, for my use only. Simply to keep things in sync between Beta, Retail, and Publisher Personas.

And I fully expect to break something at some point! Which will be entirely my own fault!!!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

2 hours ago, Yannick Gaultier said:

I assume R CR means that if it becomes known that assets can be used across a network for instance, by the 25 people in a company without corresponding licensing, then some assets suppliers could lose faith in Affinity and pull their products from Affinity.

I would argue that whether we do it or not, it's always been possible as part of all operating systems Affinity products operate on.

Sure, but my point is users doing what amounts to a clever hack is considerably different from Serif building in & officially supporting a user friendly interface for this.

2 hours ago, Yannick Gaultier said:

Is this a theoretical discussion or are there assets suppliers with licensing requirements more stringent than the Affinity ones?

I know that for example, the license for some brush packs prohibit "sharing" but I have no idea to what extent that would apply to a single user "sharing" the pack with more than one computer he or she owned or controlled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Indeed - I will be trying it on my own personal machine, for my use only. Simply to keep things in sync between Beta, Retail, and Publisher Personas.

And I fully expect to break something at some point! Which will be entirely my own fault!!!

One favor that probably goes without saying, but I will say it anyway if you do this: be sure & mention it in any posts where it might be relevant to bugs, unexpected behavior, etc. that you experience.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

When content is created by others, licenses need to be respected. But there is no difference between sharing brushes that need to be imported and the whole brush library. If a license is broken, it is broken either way.

Coming back to the original topic: sharing of assets. The assets I use, are logos and design elements created in respect to our corporate design. There are no license problems whatsoever regarding these and it would be a great benefit for small design teams, if such assets could be shared. Creating junctions is a nice idea for a workaround - I will give this a try.

Hi

@s.auler I can confirm this works fine. I have added Affinity Publisher to the mix since then and its assets and settings are stored in the same location as Affinity Designer due to the junction on the "Affinity" folder. It does allow me switching transparently from desktop to laptop with both software with all settings and assets always being there.

@haakoo That's a workaround but this does not preserve settings, recent files, Studio configuration (which panels to show/hide) etc. 

Using a set path for Affinity storage, one can move around from computer to computer without interruption in the workflow. Hope the ability to set a storage path will be added in the future but junctions/symlink is the next best thing at the moment I think.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm creating an icon library in Affinity Design for a project. I use mac, but most of the time I continue the project using my iPad. I would love for my devices to access my assets from a single location. For example, my iCloud. Is this still not possible?

It makes me a little tired to keep saving to open on another device, and the worst, sometimes I forget to save, and when I open the other device, they are not there to continue.