paulzabphoto

Affinity Photo Lighting filter – banding circles issue

Hi,

I'm just about to send an advertising brochure to a commercial offset printer. It's a short print run and they'll probably print it digitally but anyway . . .

I'm using the lighting filter inside Affinity Photo and I'm getting banding circles resulting in an unsmooth gradient. I made a high resolution PDF of the file as that is what I'll be sending to the printer's pre-press department. The issue still can be seen on the PDF. 

I've attached a screen shot below though the issue may not show itself in the screen shot.

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 on a Mac Pro – mid 2010. 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 10GB 1066 MHz DDR3 and graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.

Just wondering if anybody else has encountered this and if you found a solution.

Cheers,

Paul Zab | www.paulzabphoto.com

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 1.09.33 pm.png

Cheers,

Paul Zab | https://www.paulzabphoto.com

It's unclear exactly what the problem is, is it the banding in the blue area you are concerned with?

You may need to upload the AP file to get better advice on this.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Yes, it's difficult to have smooth gradients without banding or artefacts appearing.

I had to redo a cover where I applied a gradient in color mode on a black and white image resulting of layers effect on a painting until until the result was acceptable (No banding on the screen or with our Ricoh printer). After publishing (if you know what to look for), I could find banding effects too.

It seems avoiding this is difficult, and there are few apps able to do gradients without banding effects.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes carl123, the banding circles appear in the blue area. Having a look at the uploaded screen shot of the image on the forum here, I can see the effect slightly.

No doubt at high resolution and in print, I'm fairly certain this problem will be even more pronounced.

I'll experiment with a few options. If I have any success, I'll post my solutions here.

Cheers & thanks,

Paul

www.paulzabphoto.com

Cheers,

Hi paulzabphoto

the banding is a common artefact of working in 8bit colour especially with large gradients. Our gradients are dithered by default but there is only so much you can add before it just becomes visible noise. you can add additional noise to help smooth it out slightly , but this is a common trait you'll find in most apps

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks Chris_K, carl123 and Wosven for your replies.

I just made a CMYK high resolution PDF of this file and the lighting filter/gradient effect is gone i.e. it's just as if I created a solid rectangle.

Is that also because of going to 8-bit? Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

The bands results of a backward use of color.

The first 4 colors are the result I get, the second are what it should be, or similar decrease of color I suppose.

(CMJN 8 bits or RVB 16 bits exports  result in banding, and the file is made of  gradients at 20% opacity and gaussian blur layers.)

2018-04-24_080254.png

test_degrades.afphoto

Anyone got any further clues re. my other question above:

I just made a CMYK high resolution PDF of this file and the lighting filter/gradient effect is gone i.e. it's just as if I created a solid rectangle. The effect of the lighting filter has been eliminated after making a press-ready CMYK high resolution PDF.

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Hi @paulzabphoto, can you provide exemple files (afdesign & PDF) ?

And a screenshot of the PDF parameters you used ? Some effects need to be rasterised, perhaps you unchecked to option before exporting ?

And since my app is in french, it's not easy sometimes to translate mode, filter, etc. 's names. :S

This is strange, the gradient with "Glow" mode stay when I export to PDF. (Which one is the "Halo" effect you use ?)

I exported with PDF preset X-1a-2003 (no transparency, all is rasterised) and PDF 1.7 (rasterise: Unsupported properties) and the 2 tests keep the effect (a gradient with Glow mode on another layer).

Did you try with a specific ICC profile ?

2018-05-02_231721v2.png

2018-05-02_231758.png

2018-05-02_231808.png

2018-05-02_232246.png

Hi MEB & Wosven,

I have uploaded the files to the link suggested by MEB – many thanks.

Because the file is going to an offset printer, the file is set up in CMYK with the Coated FOGRA 39 profile.

That’s why, in the PDF export settings, the nominated colour space is “As document”.

Perhaps the lighting filter doesn’t work in CMYK when exported to PDF?

I don’t want to rasterise everything because that means the type will be rasterised and that should remain vector – for best quality. I have chosen to embed all fonts in the PDF settings.

I appreciate your help with this issue.

Cheers,

Paul Zab

Cheers,

Hi paulzabphoto,

Sorry the delay getting back to you. Can you please try the following:

1. create a duplicate of the 2 background blue rectangles (that are located below each of the lighting OBC and OFC groups in the Layers panel)

2. move these duplicates to inside the respective lighting OBC and OFC groups placing them at the bottom of the stack of each group (optionally create a duplicate of these groups and hide them as we will rasterise these groups in the next step)

3. rasterise both groups. this should fix the missing lighting filter from the backgrounds.

If you click the More button in the Export dialog and change the Embed fonts dropdown to Text as Curves does it fix the issues for you?

Hi Miguel,

Many thanks for your efforts.

Rasterising eliminates the existing bleed so I have to re-introduce the bleed. But it does keep the effect produced by the lighting filter – thanks.

I’m aware of converting text to curves but, as I come originally from a pre-press background, this is not always successful with type of a small point size. It seems to be working with my artwork in this case but it’s certainly not the preferred method.

I hope the devs are putting these types of issues as very high priority for the sake of credibility of the software.

I’m very happy with Affinity Photo and Designer as all the stuff I have produced so far has been for web but this project and some upcoming ones I have will be going to an offset printer.

Also looking forward to Affinity Publisher in its beta form.

Cheers and thanks again,

Paul Zab | www.paulzabphoto.com

Cheers,

Hi paulzabphoto,

If you duplicate the rectangles and move them to inside the lighting groups keeping the originals in the same position as i suggested you will not lose the bleed since only the rectangles inside the group will be rasterised. The originals remain exactly as they are keeping the bleed intact.

Im also getting a few issues with the fonts. In any case your file should output exactly as seen on screen without these workarounds. Something is not working as it should here. This will be passed to the dev team for further checking.