You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Only some RAW photos loading as RAW

Hello all,

I am trying to edit RAW files from my sony a6500. Affinity is showing the files as RAW when I go to import, but only about half the time are the photos actually loading as a RAW in the develop module. Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont, there doesnt seem to be any pattern or consistency. Any thoughts?

Thanks. 

• Staff

Hi exploremoar,

Sorry to hear this! May I ask how you are importing the images to the app? Are they stored on locally, or on the cloud? If you attempt to import one image at a time, does the develop persona sometimes fail to load or is this issue only when importing multiple images at a time?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I am first uploading the photos from my camera to my iPad Pro using the lightning to USB adapter. Then I am importing the photos from the apple photos app in affinity. So they are stored locally. I havent even tried importing multiple images, just one at a time.

I am shooting in RAW+JPEG and the files are usually only loading as JPEG, but sometimes as RAW. From now on I am just going to shoot in RAW for when I do that they load up in RAW no problem, but for now I’m still trying to view the RAWs that I’ve shot in both formats

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, I have downloaded some A6500 sample RAWs to an iPad and opened them in the app, and all have opened as expected. However I do not have any images in RAW+JPEG format currently. If possible, could you provide me with a few samples?
Could you please navigate the app to 'Import from Photos' and in the file menu find an image that is both RAW+JPEG from your camera, does the 'RAW' tag show in the bottom right hand corner of all your images in this format, as such? 
IMG_0296.jpg

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I am trying to upload an image I took in raw+JPEG but the forums are giving me error 200, and it does show in the files with the raw icon in the lower right hand side. I just started shooting in just raw and there are no problems, so I guess I will just shoot in this format. I have another couple of questions that have now sprouted...

1. When I was shooting in raw+JPEG the images looked clear in the photos library of my ipad, and when I just went on a RAW only shoot they all look blurred. When I load them into affinity, they look crystal in the develop persona. Is this normal? 

2. Why would someone shoot in RAW+JPEG? I was doing it in case I didn’t like the way the RAW files came out but I definitely do, so would there be any other reason to continue?

3. I have read in other places that the RAW files looking blurry is due to the fact that the camera isnt doing any in-body sharpening (like it does with a JPEG) and that all has to be done in post, manually. I’m cool with that, but it looks like when I load the RAW into the develop persona it sharpens right up! Am I crazy? 

4. Kinda unrelated but is there any way to delete all photos from affinity? I’ve been opening up hundreds and it takes a while to close them individually. 

Thank you guys!!

• Staff

I've sent you a direct message with a dropbox link, so that you can send us a few files directly :) 

It is, and you can choose to turn this off if you wish. The RAW+JPEG files (and JPEG only) have the post processing applied by your camera, meaning that outside of Affinity in the photos library, the images will look sharp. For the same reason, RAW only files may look blurry in your photos library, as your camera has not applied any additional processing to the image. However, once you load the image into Affinity Photos Develop Persona it automatically applies some processing corrections and effects, meaning your image will look sharp... Don't worry, you're not going crazy!
If you go to the Develop Persona and click on the Develop Assistant option in the top toolbar, you can choose to turn these options off, if you want to manually do these corrections. 
5adf4ce1e9736_DevelopAssistant.JPG.80f1e42b88fdfd9e1db748c396c172d3.JPG

You can also leave these corrections on and then manually edit the changes as normal, the choice is yours.

The main reasons I know of to shoot in both formats is as follows:

• Almost guaranteed compatibility - Pretty much any program reads JPEGs, but for any editors that support RAW, you have additional scope.
  • Instant access - Should you need an image directly after shooting, you don't need to be carrying around your editing software just to access the file.
  • Why not? - JPEG files take up little room in comparison and only slow the camera down slightly in terms of processing, so why not! :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Sorry! :$
You're correct, there's no develop assistant in the iPad version of the app. This is due to us utilising Apple Core, the Apple specific RAW engine which is built into all Apple products.
On the desktop Mac version, you have the choice between Serif Labs and Apple Core as your RAW engine. Using Serif Labs (developed by us) allows you to control if the corrections are applied automatically. Once you switch to Apple Core, these choices are locked, as Apple don't allow you to make this choice and the engine applies whatever it can automatically. I can assume Apple has done this to ensure a generalisation across Apps and devices.
The iPad version of Affinity only supports Apple Core, so these options are locked to being on unfortunately, hence no develop assistant. Apologies again! 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

This means that they are most likely being sharpened along with a few other lens corrections by the Apple engine, but to Apples standards and not ours.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

The Develop Assistant options are "merged" with the regular Assistant on the iPad version. Only the Lens corrections and Noise reduction are not available for the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine, the rest (Apply tone curve, Raw output colour format etc) can be accessed tapping the Document icon on the top left of the interface and selecting Assistant while in Photo Persona (the last two rows of dropdowns).

develop_assistant_options.jpg.79e4aa336120b2a69907cfc207c0f781.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 5:37 AM, MEB said:

The Develop Assistant options are "merged" with the regular Assistant on the iPad version. Only the Lens corrections and Noise reduction are not available for the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine, the rest (Apply tone curve, Raw output colour format etc) can be accessed tapping the Document icon on the top left of the interface and selecting Assistant while in Photo Persona (the last two rows of dropdowns).

develop_assistant_options.jpg.79e4aa336120b2a69907cfc207c0f781.jpg

Im trying to upload RAW and now the program is crashing or freezing halfway everytime. Any suggestions??