You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag up&down on a text fields to change values

To change values in text fields (like Width: 8px) you have to...

- click on the text field and use up down arrow (1step)

- click on the text field and type

- hover over text field mouse wheel up/down (1 step)

A lot of programs allow you do this..

- mouse down + drag up/down with the mouse on a text field to change values

This is so much faster sometimes and especially when you do larger values jumps (i.e. from 10% to 80%...) It would be great when this could be added too in Affinitys programs

11 minutes ago, pixelworker said:

A lot of programs allow you do this..

- mouse down + drag up/down with the mouse on a text field to change values

The Affinity apps allow you to mouse down and drag left/right over the label for a numeric field to change the value.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, this works only to some extend but not well compared to other programs. I think this need a complete overhault to work nicely.

- The hit area is pretty small on the label compared to the text field!

- Most text fields doesn't have a label so it doesn't work.

- There needs to be some kind of acceleration after a certain mouse way or fast movement, otherwise it's too slow for large changes (this is also a problem currently when draging on the label).

Changing values in text field feels really combersome and slow compared to other programs were this works very nice! For me this is an area were I constantly get frustrated in Affinity products.

8 minutes ago, pixelworker said:

Most text fields doesn't have a label so it doesn't work.

Which fields don’t have labels? (You keep referring to “text” fields but we’re clearly discussing numeric values rather than text.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Next post.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, pixelworker said:

hover over text field mouse wheel up/down (1 step)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/50103-set-rotation-resolution-in-preferences/&do=findComment&comment=251708

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks for your replys, guys.

Here for example, you can't change the vales by drag. Or when you have HSL fader for colors.

That said, dragging on the label is far worse than dragging on the text field itself. Why? Because you have to search were you want to drag (find the label...) which has a different hit area everytime (muscel memory?).

Just dragging on the text field is so much nicer. And as said, there is definitely an acceleration needed, because you can't go from min. to max. with a reasonable mouse swipe.

Dragging on a fixed text field is also far superior to using a fader, were you first have to find the handle. Going to the fixed text field is much easier to hit.

There are a lot of programs were this works exactly like I described (drag on text field) and I never use a different way to change values because it's the most effective way for me.

here.PNG