You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

possible to show the 'context toolbar' as a panel?

Hi,

I like to have all my functions, like layers, colors, font settings,... at my side panels (right), but I still have to use the 'context toolbar' in addition because a lot of options are only displayed in this top panel

I don't like to use the 'context toolbar' at the top, because I have constantly move between my panels at the right and this topbar with the mouse.

You can disable the 'context toolbar', which is great! But I find no way to display these functions in a panel or something. Any idea if this is possible?

• Staff

Hi Pixelworker,

You can do this on a Mac, but you have to switch to Separated mode, Window>Separated Mode and the all of the UI floats, including the content toolbar and you can arrange the order of panels and toolbars.  This is a feature of the Mac operating system and isn't present in Windows. 

I don't think there is a way to  float or dedock the context toolbar on Windows but i'm sure a Windows user will post if there is.

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

You can do this on a Mac, but you have to switch to Separated mode, Window>Separated Mode...

But even in Separated mode, the main & Context toolbars remain joined & movable/resizable as a single item. Considering the large number of items the main toolbar might include, & particularly the screen space needed for some of the cascading popup items in the Context Toolbar (like Stroke > Pressure or Context > Gradient > Color) it could be difficult to find a place on the screen for this that would not obscure the work. For that matter, even when they are docked this can be a problem.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7