You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to join several overlapping screenshots together?

How to join several overlapping screenshots together?

I want to stitch several "WhatsApp" chat screenshots into one long image with Affinity Photo. I'm a real noob, so I don't even know where to start. I'm aware that I might have to watch several tutorials, which I don't mind, as long as I can harness the needed skills. So any links would be appreciated.

Have you ever wanted to share a conversation with a friend, but it wouldn't fit in one screenshot? Well that's basically what I want to be able to do. I already took a few overlapping screenshots, but I don't know if there's a tool to align them together and also to stitch them together as well. Can this be done automatically? Or does one have to manually do the aligning as well as the cropping?

1. Find the dimensions of the screenshot/s
  2. Create a document to the screenshots dimension/s, you can make the document smaller later so over estimate the height. 
  3. Drag and drop all of your WhatsApp screenshots into the document
  4. Now you need to align them so it looks like a continue screenshot.
  5. You should have the starting screenshot at the top.
  6. Turn off all of the other layers so they are hidden.
  7. Select the next screenshot in the Layers Panel unhide it and reduce its opacity to 75% ( this will allow you to align the image with the one on top)
  8. Repeat 7. until all screen shots are aligned.
  9. Choose the erase tool and pick a Basic Brush and set the Opacity to 100% Flow 100% and Hardness to 90%
  10. Erase any unnecessary overlaps.
  11. Export to your desired file format

If you run out of document space or you have too much you can expand or reduce the Canvas by going to Document > Resize Canvas

5adc2f4e92c91_ScreenShot2018-04-22at07_44_08.png.3ab70ffbf2bc23c0dbe38bbff4132061.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A few questions that may make your life a lot easier...

This will make your life a lot easier, less stressful and about as cool as "The Fonz" "Heeeeeey" :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Doryan said:

I want to stitch several "WhatsApp" chat screenshots into one long image

I use FastStone Capture, which capture and join screens automatically.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

You should have the starting screenshot at the top.

Yes, it should be at the top of the screen, but the starting screenshot needs to be at the bottom of the layers stack, which it will be if you started off with this and pasted the others on top of it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I use FastStone Capture, which capture and join screens automatically.

Yes, FastStone Capture is an awesome little app, I used that all the time on Windows but I suggested Snagit as its multi-platform.

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Yes, it should be at the top of the screen, but the starting screenshot needs to be at the bottom of the layers stack, which it will be if you started off with this and pasted the others on top of it.

John

I don't like the way the layers stack, from bottom to top, especially when having text that has been converted to curves, its...

5adc734da960b_ScreenShot2018-04-22at12_32_43.png.faf82bdec21338ed6cf01334d60f43a9.png and 5adc734f49c2a_ScreenShot2018-04-22at12_34_02.png.c609e1829cce142ff9b3eb71aad47f23.png

This makes more sense to me.

5adc74ba7775d_ScreenShot2018-04-22at12_38_20.png.bfb5cfcdf724ef2d964d6de240ba26af.png and5adc74b9e26ea_ScreenShot2018-04-22at12_40_05.png.71210a91f6bf0d0048e313145e76b984.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

This makes more sense to me.

‘Left to right’ is fair enough, but ‘Right side down’?? Shouldn’t that be ‘Right way up’? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

‘Left to right’ is fair enough, but ‘Right side down’?? Shouldn’t that be ‘Right side up’? :/

Maybe I meant Left side down, I'm definitely going down, ooh! could be "from the top down" yes definitely "from the top down" O.o I need to go and get some fresh air I think.

Wrong

5adc870f68db4_ScreenShot2018-04-22at13_57_14.png.6ab3b3c02ee5dfcd54ce43f7e479db38.png 

Right

5adc870e77c7e_ScreenShot2018-04-22at13_58_11.png.5362fa57f7af6ca61d7dea4ef95b35cf.png

Is there a reason the layers are laid out the wrong way ;)

It makes sense to me that if you paste layers on top of each other, the topmost one is the last added and the original is at the bottom.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I need to go and get some fresh air I think

Surely that should be:

Kniht I ria hserf emos teg dna og ot deen I

:P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I don't like the way the layers stack, from bottom to top, especially when having text that has been converted to curves ...

The layers stack from top to bottom in the Layers panel, just like a deck of cards or a stack of photographic slides (or as Photoshop help says "sheets of stacked acetate"), such that opaque areas of an upper layer obscure the layers below. This metaphor is also consistent with pasting items on top of others & it would be weird if it was reversed.

Obviously, if no items overlap, the stacking order is irrelevant but that is not generally true for anything other than text converted to curves, & even for that one might want characters to overlap & blend in various different ways for stylistic purposes (because that is one of the reasons for converting text to curves to begin with).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 4/22/2018 at 2:16 AM, firstdefence said:

A few questions that may make your life a lot easier...

This will make your life a lot easier, less stressful and about as cool as "The Fonz" "Heeeeeey" :D

firstdefence - Thank you so much for all your suggestions! You saved me from having to do a ton of unnecessary work.

• Yes, I have the WhatsApp Desktop App installed. B|
  • I just experienced that magic you foreshadowed...  ^_^
  • Thanks for the Snagit Panoramic Capture link, it is exactly what I needed.

Indeed, this really made my life a piece of cake, no stress whatsoever. However, I will have to find out who "The Fonz" are, and I suppose "Heeeeeey" is a song from them? I'll Google search and YouTube that just for the record. Thanks again brother! And also thanks to everybody who made what would have been a tedious task, a rather simple one.

I'll still go over the Affinity Photo suggested steps you took your time to explain to me. It definitely won't hurt to try doing them as if it were a tutorial, but perhaps with a different example, because I want to get "high-speed" with the Affinity software anyway, so I'm sure it well help me better understand the layer stack work flow.

I just downloaded the 15 day free trial of "Snagit" on my Mac, but I will probably end up purchasing it, since it really is a magnificent tool with lots of capabilities. I'm glad it's multi-platform, so by purchasing a license, I will be able to use it on both my Windows PC and on my Mac. Kudos for this recommendation!

owenr - Not really. Check this out:

"Beginning with Snagit 10 (PC) and Snagit on Mac 1, the Snagit license key is cross-platform compatible. Your Snagit license is authorized for a second installation to accommodate Mac use - but they are not for simultaneous use (e.g. use Snagit on your home PC at night, and your work Mac during the day, or vice versa). Please refer to the table below for information on which license keys will work to unlock which version of Snagit on the opposite platform."

https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/203732888-Licensing-for-Snagit-Windows-and-Snagit-on-Mac

Screenshot of Google Chrome (4-23-18, 11-29-39 AM).jpg

MEB - Okay, I edited the comment, so it would be clearer to what I was referring to.

Oh Affinity is definitely multi-platform, but it indeed charges for each different operating system. I can attest to that, since I had to pay for both Affinity Design and Photo twice. Well, actually three times for Affinity Photo, since I also got it for iOS. Definitely a purchase well worth it.