You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saxophone Work in progress

jackamus

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing the AD file so we can learn from what you did

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Looking pretty good, Jack! How long has it taken you to get that far?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, Alfred said:

Looking pretty good, Jack! How long has it taken you to get that far?

Thanks to all for their kind compliments.

I started work on this just after AD was published and then I left it to do other projects. One of the beauties of AD is being able to copy effects and styles from one object to another.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

This is stunning to say the very least jackamus.  I so appreciate you sharing in this format so we can really see how you are accomplishing this amazing piece of artwork.  I will never , ever be in this class but I can admire and strive.  Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the finished piece.  

Impressive work, Thanks for sharing the file. Diving into the details, have to admire the very clean work at the smallest scale.

SaxDetail.jpg.3e022a6125a92be71333e371052aecc9.jpg

Fine execution.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Would be a nice show piece for Affinity.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, thisldo said:

This is stunning to say the very least jackamus.  I so appreciate you sharing in this format so we can really see how you are accomplishing this amazing piece of artwork.  I will never , ever be in this class but I can admire and strive.  Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the finished piece.  

I'm astonished at the very generous compliments AD users are giving my Saxophone work in progress. I really do not deserve it. I'm surprised that nobody as asked me how I created the first layer, saxophone edges?

I can assure you that my drawing is not as clever as many think it is. Let me reveal how I created the first layer.

1 I first found a suitable photograph of a saxophone.See attached pjeg.

2 I then opened it in 'Photoshop' and converted in into greyscale mode and then used the filter 'Find edges'. This give me my first layer in AD. From then on I just used the original jpeg as a reference for all the different shapes and shading.

This is not a work of original creation but more an exercise in using AD for producing an accurate copy.

This is how I create my canvases when I do a painting from a photograph. I create a 'Find edges' jpeg and get it printed onto a canvas and then paint on top. It may be cheating but it saves me a lot of time in drawing.

This link will take you to my website.I http://www.classiccarartist.co.uk/

Saxaphone 3.jpg

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Further to the saxophone illustration I would like to preserve just a little creativity for myself and that is I did not use the Colour picker to copy the colours in the original photo. I used my eye to select the colours from a pallet.

Just to round off this series of revelation, attached is a file showing the reverse process of going from one of my painting to trying to imitate the same subject in computer graphics.

The attached file was started when I used to use Serif's 'DrawPlus'. I used the 'Find edges' original of the car and then worked on it using DrawPlus. I was able to import the file into AD as a pdf. This preserved all the objects for so that it could be finished off. When that will be I do not know.

SS_Jaguar_2_(1)-1.pdf

Edited by jackamus
typo

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus,

Very kind of you to share your work and the afdesign file. Thank you.

I think you are being too modest. Using references for illustration / photo compositing work is a relatively common practise and a way to notice/improve on details that otherwise would be hard to illustrate just by reminding/imagining/picturing them from head. Even then some things - chrome/glass reflection, human's faces, water, fur etc) are hard to reproduce realistically using references. Sometimes despite being technically correct they look out of place/or plain flat/must be adapted to the context they are being inserted in or simplified/expressed in a different way. You are doing a great job. Can't way to see the finished piece.

I also liked the the paintings and illustrations on your portfolio too (loved the LeMans E-Type!). Glad to see another "petrolhead" around :)

Thanks for the support MEB and comments about my website. Actually I'm not a 'petrol head' my interest in cars is no more than in planes and trains - they are mechanical marvels that I like to paint as realistically as possible.

I agree that what is often seen in a photo cannot be reproduced artificially to still look correct. This is where artistic flair comes in.

I find the same problem when trying to establish the perspective - vanishing points and horizon, from using construction lines drawn on the original photo. It is nearly always necessary to fudge a bit to make it look right.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0