You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I export from APhoto, I seem to lose a significant amount of definition in my images. If I compare the image, after developing and processing in Develop and Photo Personas, on the screen with the saved image there is an obvious difference. This is true if I export to JPEG or TIFF. I am probably missing something, but can't see what it is ........

• Staff

Hi Argyllsteve,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Assuming you are not rescaling the images on export, make sure you are comparing them at 1:1 (100% zoom). Affinity Designer/Photo uses mipmaps - lower resolution versions of the images/layers - to improve its performance when rendering images on screen at zoom levels below 100% so what you see on screen in Affinity is the result of live filters and adjustments being applied dynamically to the lower resolution versions of the image/layers - not the full resolution image unless you set the zoom to 100% or higher. When you export your file the adjustments/filters are baked up to the full resolution version of the image/layers and so to get an accurate preview of what you see on screen and what will be exported make sure you are seeing/checking them at 100% zoom or more to ensure they are being applied and previewed using the full resolution version. 

Thanks for your reply. The issue is the other way around - the Affinity image appears sharper than exported image (whether a TIFF or jpeg). I've also made comparisons with a competitor (which is a difficult thing to do, as it is obviously impossible to process images in exactly the same way.  However, I just can't get the exported Affinity images to the same level of sharpness/clarity.  I also feel that this is a recent problem and that I was not getting this problem a week ago.  It's a real shame because at the moment it means I am not using Affinity to process my images - just when I had become a real convert!!

• Staff

Hi Argyllsteve,

Seems I misunderstood you question sorry. Are you scaling (up or down) the image on export? If so which resample mode are you choosing? If not can you please upload the afphoto file so we can take a look? I can provide you with an upload link if you wish to keep it private.

Hi, 

If you view your AFPhoto document at 100% (Cmd-1 on a Mac or Ctrl-1 on a PC) you'll see the blurring/camera shake on the original image:5adb9a9f6b28f_ScreenShot2018-04-21at21_06_56.thumb.png.c763b07cd6c0a3659ccf0046956b1285.png

This is less obvious when the image is viewed at the magnification you've been working to, but it's being brought out in your exported image when you view it full size. Scale down the export and you'll get an apparently sharper result. But you won't get any sharper than the above at the original full size.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Hi Argyllsteve,

Thanks for the file. What's happening here is what i originally said in my first reply. You have to compare both the exported image and the image displayed in Affinity at 100% zoom to get an accurate preview of the result of adjustments/filters otherwise they are dynamically applied to a lower resolution of the image (for performance purposes) and thus the what you will see will not match the exported result. Here's a comparison showing (part) the image displayed in Affinity and the corresponding exported JPG side by side at 100%.

comparison.thumb.jpg.5132cff6c2080f342ec2685d7594a5a5.jpg

• 7 months later...

Sorry, MEB, I missed a cog or two by comparing apples (resolution) with oranges (required doc size). Of course, If I place a hi-res AP exported tif  (17,000 x 17,000 pixels) inside an AD doc of a smaller pixel size (5120 x 5120), it is only going to export as 5120 x 5120 pixels and not my 17,000 x 17,000 pixels. I should have thought through this before writing what I have now deleted.