You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a trick to making snapping actually work?

Hey guys,

I'm really having a tough time using snapping. It's like a cool feature that doesn't work for me. I can almost never get it to work properly, I have to adjust decilmals every time. For example in this scenario, there's a 0.5px gap between the two rectangles, when there shouldn't be any spacing between them. They have both rounded values for width/height, and even the "move by whole pixels" and "force pixel alignment" are turned on, but there's this 0.5 pixels gap, when in fact they should "stick" to one another. How do you use snapping? It's personally driving me insane, it could be such a time saver, but I can't get it to work properly.

Thanks

snapping-decimals.jpg

34 minutes ago, owenr said:

its purpose is to deliberately preserve an existing misalignment

Nicely put! :D

If ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ always took precedence then we wouldn’t have this problem, but it doesn’t, so you need to turn off ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ in order for ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ to perform the promised forcing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Nicely put! :D

If ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ always took precedence then we wouldn’t have this problem, but it doesn’t, so you need to turn off ‘Move By Whole Pixels’ in order for ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ to perform the promised forcing.

If both shapes have their width, height, X and Y rounded numbers (I mean without decimals) why would there be a problem with both options being enabled? Because this is the case for me. Basically what happens is the opposite, it kills the numbers without decimals, and it turns them into numbers with decimals.

8 minutes ago, chris.bannu said:

Basically what happens is the opposite, it kills the numbers without decimals, and it turns them into numbers with decimals.

So you’re saying that if you have an object whose x-coordinate is exactly 35 and you move it 2 whole pixels to the right with ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ turned on, its new x-coordinate isn’t exactly 37??  If so, that doesn’t sound right at all!! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 21/04/2018 at 5:11 PM, Alfred said:

So you’re saying that if you have an object whose x-coordinate is exactly 35 and you move it 2 whole pixels to the right with ‘Force Pixel Alignment’ turned on, its new x-coordinate isn’t exactly 37??  If so, that doesn’t sound right at all!! :o

Exactly. Decimals are added. Only when snapping to another object, not moving it in other ways, just by snapping it to an object 2 pixels away.

• Staff

Hi chris.bannu,

Can you please attach the file where this is happening? There must be something else going on. It may be trying to snap to another reference from another object with non integer values or to the middle of an object with odd dimensions or to the canvas itself - there's quite a few situations that may cause it.