You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

permission denied message(s)

I, too, am getting persistent "permission denied" messages, making Affinity Photo totally useless. I downloaded the 10-day trail app -- and it worked just fine. Reloaded Affinity Photo and continued to have permission denied. Since this seems to be a problem experienced by others, a solution is essential.

• 1 month later...

I have been getting the permission denied on and off all day when exporting to PDF. It says that there is an error in exporting at this time...permission denied. Several different files, same outcome. I'm on deadline, so I have just continued trying until ... it suddenly decides there is no longer an error in exporting at this time? It is nonsensical and random.

Error message Affinity.PNG

Edited by Tori
To add the image of the error message

Export to another folder?
Personal folders can be protected (with limited access), and therefore problematic.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Not everything is an Affinity issue, Windows at the best of times is temperaMENTAL and with constant background updates being pushed on to the system, things can easily get messed up.

You should really save to Documents not to Desktop; one reason is file safety. If saving to Documents has the same issue you may have a corrupt user profile/account or permissions to test that theory, you can create a new user profile/account and log into it, then try opening and saving to that user profiles desktop. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Many antivirus programs will deny access to the desktop and Windows Defender is one of them. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

19 hours ago, Tori said:

I have been getting the permission denied on and off all day when exporting to PDF. It says that there is an error in exporting at this time...permission denied. Several different files, same outcome. I'm on deadline, so I have just continued trying until ... it suddenly decides there is no longer an error in exporting at this time? It is nonsensical and random.

Is the PDF open in another program such as a PDF viewer, another PDF editing program, etc. at the same time?

If you have the PDF open in Affinity Photo and then open it in something else, for example when seeing what it looks like in a PDF Viewer (or if the PDF was already open in something else before opening it in Affinity Photo), this will prevent Affinity Photo from being able to export it as this PDF and will give an error like what you're seeing.  In addition when opening the PDF in another program, the other program can sometimes lock the file for editing, but fail to release it correctly, meaning Affinity Photo isn't able to write to the file until you completely close the other program.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 6:49 AM, firstdefence said:

Not everything is an Affinity issue, Windows at the best of times is temperaMENTAL and with constant background updates being pushed on to the system, things can easily get messed up.

You should really save to Documents not to Desktop; one reason is file safety. If saving to Documents has the same issue you may have a corrupt user profile/account or permissions to test that theory, you can create a new user profile/account and log into it, then try opening and saving to that user profiles desktop. 

I choose to save my files to a certain place for a reason - those I'm actively working on are most easily found on my desktop and when I've finished, I can then file them away. "Where" I save the files should have no relevancy to permissions being granted - that seems to me quite preposterous. (I think that if you go into "updates and security" you can change whether or not you allow updates to run in the background and instead assign a time for them to occur, FYI.)

I find AlainP's reply more feasible; if this is the issue, this should be easily remedied  by allowing Affinity through....

Thanks all for your suggestions! As a "newbie", I'm quite impressed that others go out of their way to assist people like me - and I expect that I will be asking "stupid" questions as my learning curve intensifies (though I do try to search inet and "help" prior to doing so). 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...