You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I can't move on with this and also haven't found any relevant topic on the forum so I'm trying my luck in this topic. As I'm beginner it might be something easy and stupid but it took me some time and I haven't found any solution.

I have a project (catalogue) with about 140 artboards/pages and I need to rearrange pages and insert some new pages as well, for example add new artboard between pages 7 and 8 etc. It doesn't work if I do it manually by moving artboards nor using the right menu or other ways. If I do export nothing changes. Also If I delete some artboard, there is still a blank space after all. So my question is simple: How can I change/rearrange pages easily? Can I easily move artboard from the end of the document somewhere else? I hope this explanation is enough for you.

Thanks guys

Martin

• Staff

Hi Martin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Artboards (pages) are always exported from bottom to top in the Layers stack, so the position of the artboard in the workspace area is irrelevant. If you want to control the order they are exported use the Layers panel for that - the bottom most layer will be the first page and the layer on top will be the last page.

On 20. 4. 2018 at 2:57 PM, MEB said:

Hi Martin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Artboards (pages) are always exported from bottom to top in the Layers stack, so the position of the artboard in the workspace area is irrelevant. If you want to control the order they are exported use the Layers panel for that - the bottom most layer will be the first page and the layer on top will be the last page.

Hi again MEB :) yeah, that was the first thing that came into my mind, however it didn't work untill now, but I finally found the solution. The problem was that I took the page and when scrolling down and changing the place, I inserted it into the page that was above. I found that I need to move my mouse more to the left side of the layers panel when inserting and after that the page is standing alone and not as a part of this page. So this was the problem and export is fine now. Thanks mate ;)

On 20. 4. 2018 at 3:01 PM, owenr said:

Hi. The Alignment panel accessed in the main toolbar (or use the alignment/distribute commands in the Layer menu) can help you arrange Artboards neatly in the workspace, but Designer has no automatic rearranging like inserting and deleting pages in a DTP app. Artboards are exported to pages of a PDF in bottom-up order of the stack in Layers panel, so the Artboard that's eighth from the bottom will be the eighth page in the export.

Hi owenr, thanks for the explanation, solution mentioned above. :) About the rearranging/alignment... yep, as you say it makes it easier to arrange multiple pages neatly, can be helpful in the future. Nevertheless, if I dragged a page somewhere else and there is a blank space, according to what you write I guess there is no way to rearrange it automatically, right? It's not that important, just that it can make the space more clear and pages follow up each other.

On 20. 4. 2018 at 1:51 PM, GabrielM said:

Hi Gorex,

Welcome to the forums. 

It would be a lot easier if you attach the file and give us an exact scenario so we can try to replicate. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks Gabe. You're right, it makes it easier. I was using my desktop for the forum and my MAC for Affinity, so that's why I didn't insert prinstcreen or whatsoever additional visual info.

On 2018-04-20 at 5:57 AM, MEB said:

- the bottom most layer will be the first page and the layer on top will be the last page.

Seems a bit counter intuitive to me. Be nice to have a pref to flip that if desired.  

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Carlos NZ said:

Seems totally counter intuitive. 

Think of it in physical terms, as though you were painting on a canvas. First paint a layer of black on the canvas. Then paint a layer of yellow.

Examine a cross-section through the canvas and paint. The layer ordering, from bottom to top, is canvas, black paint, yellow paint, and that ordering tells you what was painted first (black) and what was painted second (yellow). This is the physical equivalent of the Layers panel in Designer.

And that analogy is used to determine the order when exporting artboards to a PDF file. The item that came first is output first, then the item that came second, etc. As you created your artboards, Designer put the first one on the bottom of the Layer stack, then the second one above that, just as when painting on a canvas. The one on the bottom was created first, and will be output first.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1