You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am currently trying to create a 'heart shaped tart'.

I have made a circular version (1), but am unsure on how to create the same effect with the heart (2) let alone any other shape than a circle.

The circular version (1) used a circle on top of a gear shape.

Any help welcome, thanks!

delete.png

Take a look at the attached file.

5ad9216fab648_LobedHeart.png.386ff865b574a9bf23c7d06d80e2db77.png

I added a Dashed Stroke to the heart, with a large stroke width, rounded caps, and a dash length of 0, to produce dots surrounding the heart.

You will need to tweak the dash spacing (in my example I found 1.8 worked well), and the exact stroke width (11.4pt in example) to position the dots appropriately, and get a neat join at the start/end.

You could then expand this stroke if needed to add a further outline (as in your original image) or use the Outline fx.

Hope this helps.

Lobed Heart.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@AammppaaNice bit of lateral thinking :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I thought a Brush would work quite nicely, I tried a circle but that didn't look right so I tried an oval. and It comes close to the design, it also gives a nice finish on the bottom point of the heart.

5ad98fb0a1706_ScreenShot2018-04-20at07_58_28.thumb.png.8a8da7e213158d851349d054482b4e1d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Another attempt while I wait for a delivery.

5ad9e38dd0dbf_ScreenShot2018-04-20at13_55_39.thumb.png.19e53010eef5931d8bd15e2a84eebc53.png

13 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

I added a Dashed Stroke to the heart, with a large stroke width, rounded caps, and a dash length of 0, to produce dots surrounding the heart.

Thanks for this! I never though about what could be done with a dash length of 0 until you mentioned it. It can be a bit tricky to get the start/end of a closed path to look right but the spacing parameter will accept at least 2 decimal places (or maybe more -- not sure about that) so it is possible to get very close for almost any shape if one is willing to keep adjusting the spacing by tiny increments.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Thanks for this! I never thought about what could be done with a dash length of 0 until you mentioned it.

Ditto!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@firstdefence Your second brush looks especially good. Just a shame that we don't have true vector brushes yet.

Ultimately it depends on what the OP needs - if looks are most important then brush works very nicely, but if you need a vector output try dash/dot method.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

10 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

@firstdefence Your second brush looks especially good. Just a shame that we don't have true vector brushes yet.

Ultimately it depends on what the OP needs - if looks are most important then brush works very nicely, but if you need a vector output try dash/dot method.

There are some shortcoming to using a brush as I have just found out. Scaling the object up totally messes the brushes look and everything goes to pot, to say I was traumatised was an understatement, The Glitch never happened OK?

5ada13a6bf9fe_ScreenShot2018-04-20at17_15_52.png.f7e41eaf71c809c50a6d33be0ac782c9.png

oh and you have to create a large brush to get some vectorness in the brush: My Textured Image Brushes.afbrushes