You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to edit selection and 'blend' it with the rest?

Hi!

Just got an ipad and bought Affinity photo right away. Trying to figure out if it's for me...

What i usually do in photoshop is develop from raw, and then if a face of a person is too dark i select it, adjust it with curves, and afterwards apply gaussian blur to blend it with the rest(it works great, although i'm not sure how exactly). 

So i make an adjustment layer from selection, apply curves operation to it, and then gaussian blur it(face doesn't become blurry, just more natural looking)

I've figured how to edit the selection only in affinity photo, but i can't figure out a way to 'blend' it afterwards. 

I'm not very good at explaining it so i'll show it on example:

So, how do i do this on ipad with affinity photo?

Thanks a lot!!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Nnbveh. :)

If I understand your question correctly, the Feather Selection Tool is the one you’re looking for. It’s about halfway down the toolbar in the Selection Persona.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Nnbveh. :)

If I understand your question correctly, the Feather Selection Tool is the one you’re looking for. It’s about halfway down the toolbar in the Selection Persona.

No, i'm not looking for any selection tools. Look at the difference between second picture, where part of the face was edited and edges of the selection were clearly visible, and the third picture, where it all came together...In photoshop i achieve this with gaussian blur, how do i do this in affinity photo?

Affinity Photo is not Photoshop. Sometimes you will get a better result with a different approach. You can do it the same way in AP but the outcome looks less 'blended'.

As Alfred suggested when making the selection just set the feather to around 20 px. Add the Curves and the result looks pretty much like you finished result. Benefit too, you can paint with soft brush (black/white) on the selection layer to further blend if you need to. No need to 'blur' the face either so saves a step in the process.

291BF4FC-B460-4F06-8D42-7E6EA0B70F87.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Blurring the border pixels is not the optimal way. Better would do the manipulation to a separate layer and feather the border of the manipulated layer. (That is regardless you use AP or PS.)

You could also manipulate original layer direct but then you should start with feathered selection.

In my example you are only feathering the curves mask layer that lets the pixels show through, not the original pixels, so non destructive. Unticking curves layer restores original photo.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Is it just my imagination or is there a child's face in that picture and if so where is it being reflected from?

face3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, DM1 said:

Affinity Photo is not Photoshop. Sometimes you will get a better result with a different approach. You can do it the same way in AP but the outcome looks less 'blended'.

As Alfred suggested when making the selection just set the feather to around 20 px. Add the Curves and the result looks pretty much like you finished result. Benefit too, you can paint with soft brush (black/white) on the selection layer to further blend if you need to. No need to 'blur' the face either so saves a step in the process.

291BF4FC-B460-4F06-8D42-7E6EA0B70F87.png

So, if i understand it, i have to make a selection, create ad adjustment layer from the selection, apply curves adjustment to it. Frankly, i can't even figure out how to create an adjustment layer from selection...this app is a bit confusing. AH, it does it automatically! Cool. Figured it out.

Edited by Nnbveh
Figured it out!