You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves adjustment on a layer

Hi: I have a 2-layer image. I want to make a curves adjustment in one of the layers, NOT having an effect on the other layer.  I have the desired layer selected and in Photoshop, I'd make the curves adjustment (Cmd-M), and my move would only adjust my desired layer.  In Affinity, the adjustment changes both layers on the image equally.  What am I doing incorrectly?

Two ways spring to mind: you can group the adjustment layer the layer that you want it to affect, or you can drag the adjustment layer and drop it on the image layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel (or with the adjustment layer sitting directly above the target image layer, right-click on the adjustment layer and choose 'Mask to Below' for the same result).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The curves adjustment layer needs to be a child of the layer you want to affect. Drag the curves layer over the chosen layer, and it should nest itself into that layer. It should position itself below that layer, and slightly indented. The curves adjustment will. ow only affect that layer.

ps Alfred.. you beat me to the punch by seconds!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thanks; will give them a try.  My confusion was, to make a quick brightness adjustment in Photoshop sometimes I had no desire to make an adjustment layer,  the adjustment just worked without making a layer.  Affinity seems to automatically make an adjustment layer that shows in the layers panel.

I appreciate the suggestions!

By the way, choose Curves, make your adjustment, and click the Merge button. This will bake the adjustment into the layer without creating a new layer. But... this is destructive, so no going back to edit later.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• Staff

There is currently no active Mac beta of Affinity Photo, moving this to the right forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 4/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, ski542002 said:

My confusion was, to make a quick brightness adjustment in Photoshop sometimes I had no desire to make an adjustment layer,  the adjustment just worked without making a layer.  Affinity seems to automatically make an adjustment layer that shows in the layers panel.

Actually, Photoshop adjustments are also layers; they just appear differently in the PS LAYERS panel vs. how they appear in the Affinity Layers panel. See for example https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adjustment-fill-layers.html.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7