Hi owenr,  

Sure, using underlying composition ranges is also a way to go that will give you great control, especially of the transitions. However, I don't feel that the transition is much of an issue in many images.But I will consider to add using the underlying composition ranges in the blend options as a fourth and more advanced method in the video. Thanks for the input.

I agree, that using the underlying composition range gives you even more control. As I said, I will probably add it as a fourth method in the video or demonstrate it in another video on how to use blend ranges to limit adjustment layers.

Hi, thanks for the video. You just added another string to my bow!

Affinity Photo 1.6.7
Affinity Designer 1.6.1

MacBook Pro 16GB 
High Sierra 10.13.4

On 22/04/2018 at 4:27 PM, Gramondo said:

Hi, thanks for the video. You just added another string to my bow!

You're welcome, Gramondo. Glad you liked it :)

Nice work, Dechen. I like the video and the blog showing progressively more complex methods.

I also agree with owenr that Blend Ranges (the cogwheel) offers enormous potential. It's like Photoshop's Blend If 'on steroids'. I use it to dynamically select different luminosity zones for adjustment, typically by adding a curves, tweaking it while looking at a particular luminosity area in the image, then adding the Blend Ranges to constrain the effect. The live view as you make the adjustment is just another reason Affinity Photo is so brilliant.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast Photo with i7-3770 + 16Gb RAM + Philips 40in 4K; Surface Pro 4 i5

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Thanks dmstraker,

Yes, I tried to make the video so the methods started from easy to become more complex, but with additional control. 

Blend ranges can work magic, and if I were to make the same tutorial today, I would definitely also include this method in the video. 

Anyway, there is a link update to this post, because I changed domain: 

Add Contrast Like A Pro - Using Affinity Photo

Thanks