You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import from Photos app strips any pre-existing edits

If I make some edits or tweaks to a photo in the native iPad Photos app (or another 3rd party app, I think) and then open that image in Affinity Photo using the 'Import From Photos' option, Affinity will open the original image. Any pre-existing edits will have been stripped out and just the original JPG gets pulled in to Affinity. 

Thoughts?

Running Affinity Photo version 1.6.7.76 and iOS 11.3 on 9.7" iPad Pro.

• Staff

Hi GezH and Welcome to the Forums,

When you use the Photos app to edit a photo, Apple always gives you the option to revert back to the original image, i suspect they do this by storing the edits in a separate file and then applying them in the Photos app.  As Affinity Photo will be loading the actual image, as it doesn't know about the separate edits made in Photos and just loads the image. 

If you save the edited image from Photos to Files (using the share command) this would bake in the edits carried out in Photos and you could then open that image in Affinity. 

Thanks for that. That’s sort of what I figured. A couple of thoughts, if thats ok:

1. This behaviour applies to edits made using other 3rd party apps too. They also get stripped. Being honest, I haven’t tested this extensively and I guess it will be dependent on how that app saves back the image (if they respect Apple Photos’  ‘non-destructive’ editing behaviour). 

2. Affinity’s import image picker shows me the edited photo but loads the original. This feels a little disjointed. 

3. Other 3rd party apps can import edited photos so I’m assuming this isn’t an OS restriction. I’ve just tested by making a number of ridiculous edits to an image and importing into Pixelmator and Hipstamatic. Both imported the edited image shown in their picker. 

Sooo, if I’m considering point 3 above, is this behaviour a design decision on Affinity’s part or an oversight? If, it’s a conscious decision to only import the original, than point 2 seems an oversight. 

Thanks again for your input. Would love your further take on this. 

P.S. it’s worth my mentioning that this is far from an end-of-the-world scenario. It’s something that I do sometimes though, and this implementation seemed weird to me. Thanks. 

• Staff

I've not seen this with 3rd party apps, but have replicated with the Photos app on the iPad. 

From looking into this further, this issue has come up before here and the QA team have got this logged with the Dev team.  So i'd expect this to change in a future update and we will start loading the edited picture and not the original.  

• 4 years later...

This also happens to me. It’s 2023 and the issue is the same. No matter where I edit a photo, Affinity pulls and strips the edits. It’s very weird. My workaround has been to take a screenshot of the edited photo. That’s the only way I’ve found to “trick the system”. Has anyone figured out the issue?

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2023 at 2:31 AM, Jen Patten said:

This also happens to me. It’s 2023 and the issue is the same. No matter where I edit a photo, Affinity pulls and strips the edits. It’s very weird. My workaround has been to take a screenshot of the edited photo. That’s the only way I’ve found to “trick the system”. Has anyone figured out the issue?

Most apps don’t need access to any raw images you have imported from a camera, Affinity always tries to import the original raw image so that you get the best results.

If you want the JPG that apple presents to you, use iPad multitasking to bring photos in as a slide over and then drag and drop from Apple photos into Affinity will bring in your edited jpg image.

Edited by Paul Mudditt
Screen recording added as an example

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh, t

On 2/11/2023 at 11:53 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

Most apps don’t need access to any raw images you have imported from a camera, Affinity always tries to import the original raw image so that you get the best results.

If you want the JPG that apple presents to you, use iPad multitasking to bring photos in as a slide over and then drag and drop from Apple photos into Affinity will bring in your edited jpg image.

Ahhhhhm thank you Paul for this response. Your screen recording is excellent! Much appreciated!