Hey guys,

I was thinking of a pretty useful feature that I'd personally use a lot :) When you lock a layer, you can't select it unless you click on it in the layers panel. That's a bit time consuming since you can't press Ctrl+K to find it. How about a shortcut to select layers that are locked, directly on stage? For example you have a rectangle on stage, and you press S+Mouse_Button_Left to select a layer that's locked? That would be pretty awesome.

Cheers :)

The inability to select a locked layer directly on the canvas has been discussed quite a few times. I can’t see why it isn’t allowed: if you want to make a layer unselectable (as opposed to simply protected against editing, which is what I think locking should do) then you can always hide it. Perhaps there could be a Preferences setting to determine ‘locked’ behaviour.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The inability to select a locked layer directly on the canvas has been discussed quite a few times. I can’t see why it isn’t allowed: if you want to make a layer unselectable (as opposed to simply protected against editing, which is what I think locking should do) then you can always hide it. Perhaps there could be a Preferences setting to determine ‘locked’ behaviour.

Well, to me it makes sense that the locked layer would not be selectable by simply clicking on it. But a key+click would be perfect :)

8 minutes ago, chris.bannu said:

Well, to me it makes sense that the locked layer would not be selectable by simply clicking on it.

That’s exactly why I suggested that a Preferences setting would be helpful. Individual users could then specify whether ‘locked’ means the layer can be selected but can’t be transformed (i.e. moved, rotated or resized) or whether it means it can’t be selected on the canvas without the use of a modifier key.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

protected against editing, which is what I think locking should do

Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367, Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367, Affinity Publisher Beta. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.145.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.