You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cutting out parts of letters in Designer

Is this a font or a design you have created?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, mandoman4

"Studios" I would suppose might require a font. The rest can be fairly easily made from simple geometric shapes. Rectangles, the Affinity "donut" ellipse, specifically. There's too much anti-aliasing in the image for me to tell, but it appears some of the stroke widths might be thicker than others. Assuming you know the stroke proportions, it would be pretty simple to get what you want by using the above shapes, and boolean operations like add, subtract and divide.  You might need to tweak a few nodes to make the swells of the C, B, & Rs. I did an approximation of the first 5 letters in about 5 minutes.

If you have a font to start with, convert the font to curves, and then start cutting away by making appropriate shapes to subtract from the geometricized font.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

What I did in this example was to place some rectangles and then placed them inside the text. Also, I changed the blendo mode to "Erase":

Text.png

Best regards!

• Create a black square
  • Select the font for your name
  • Type "Eric Weber"
  • Select font for Studio
  • Type "Studio"

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ah, an Apple system font.

Easy-peasey

Artistic text tool. Set all caps, type. Convert to curves. Draw rectangles or polygon curves over letter shapes. Make sure the rectangles, etc are above the letters in the layer hierarchy. Select rectangle(s), select letter, boolean subtract. 4 letters shown below.

A bit better, draw all subtract shapes, and add together. Select all letter forms, and add. Again, make sure the subtract objects are above. Cut all out at once.

ERIC.thumb.jpg.9ae7165b676b3496f5b4993e70e3a55c.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

30 minutes ago, gdenby said:

A bit better, draw all subtract shapes, and add together. Select all letter forms, and add. Again, make sure the subtract objects are above. Cut all out at once.

Strictly speaking, there’s no need to add together the ‘subtract’ shapes. However, there’s no harm in doing so. :)

The advantage of @Mithferion’s method is that it’s non-destructive, so you can easily edit the text later on, but that obviously doesn’t matter in this particular case.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The advantage of @Mithferion’s method is that it’s non-destructive, so you can easily edit the text later on, but that obviously doesn’t matter in this particular case.

Alfred,

Doesn't using any of the Blend modes make it become a raster on export? I'm just curious, I would love to be able to use the Blends and then export them as a PDF maintaining the vectors but I haven't been able to. Maybe I'm missing something? 

Hokusai

8 minutes ago, Hokusai said:

Alfred,

Doesn't using any of the Blend modes make it become a raster on export? I'm just curious, I would love to be able to use the Blends and then export them as a PDF maintaining the vectors but I haven't been able to. Maybe I'm missing something? 

Hokusai

In that case, the way to go is using Compounds. :)

Best regards!

27 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The problem is that Erase mode does not work if you export to SVG

eg. Erase used to "erase" the vertical bar of the E

eerase.jpg.a68d2d9fc554d3b86ffd8e4d4448cf1b.jpg

when exported as SVG and imported

esvg.jpg.7ddfe76d8ff4482a701c3202deacdae1.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

This way, when exporting to PDF, you will have a Curve generated, but in the AFDESIGN file you will keep the text as editable.

Compound.png

Best regards!

2 minutes ago, toltec said:

The problem is that Erase mode does not work if you export to SVG

Yup, I noticed that, but when you use Compunds, the moment you export you will get the same result as Curves.

Best regards!